• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Additionally Overclocking my 333mhz>350mhz AMD K6-2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

angelkilla

I'm completely new to this. Only 15 years old. I recently got into this overclocking idea. Its not half bad! lol I started by learning how to build computers.. I built up a decent 160mhz computer. Then overclocked it as much as I could, and it would only do 188mhz because it was "locked" and i couldn't use a 3x multiplyer.
Next.. I moved onto my other computer. I got my AMD K6-2 333mhz running at 350mhz. Does anyone know what these things go up to?
It was set at 95mhz x 3.5 and I set it 100mhz x 3.5. Its like 2.2 or 2.8 volts I believe(?), and I looked around for postings about boosting the voltage on these processors with no luck finding any information to help me.
So.. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has any advice for me?? What does a 333mhz AMD K6-2 overclock to? I'm scared of like burning it up if i go higher. I haven't even tried anything higher. It runs fine right now. I leave my computer on 24/7 and its -always- working even when im sleeping. Will bumping up the voltage help me? I"ve just been using the original fan/heatsink and added a bit of thermal paste. Should I use something else? I'm in debt $1500 so don't send me on a spending spree please. lol
Please help me. Im new to this.
ICQ 12271465
MSN [email protected]
Email [email protected]

-Eric

My buddy ran his k62 333 at 380 for over a year with the stock hs/fan. I ocd my 300 to 350 and ran it like that for over 2 years...(This same chip still beats away at 350 in my cousin's computer..4 years now!) Heres what you do...go to the main page of this website...look at the top for "CPU DATABASE" there are about 200 entries there of guys ocing this processor..all the settings are listed too. One fellow has done 800???!! uh..ok.

From what i understand the older AMD's dont OC very well. I have a k6-3 450 that will run stable @ 500 but if i go much higher than that i get random lockup's and trouble booting sometimes. Uping the voltage will help you it did me, I cant go past 500 without bumping the voltage to at least 2.6 . Im going to try to up it past that and see if I can run @ 550 stable.
But if you up the voltage your cpu will run hotter and additional cooling will be needed. try adding an extra case fan to increase cool air intake into your case and maby a new heatsink and fan (hsf) if you can with that debt.

Like mudguts said check the CPU database, but keep in mind those numbers are based on the poster. Some are a little hard to believe. I doubt you'll get much more then 350 out of that chip. K62s weren't the best overclockers. My K62-550 would only do 560 (112x5). That was at 2.4V. After about 6 months ZAP! The Epox MVPG3-M board I had burned a voltage regulator and it took the chip out with it. I don't know if it had anythign to do with OCing it, but ya never know.

My advice, get a cheap Duron and an Abit KT7A if ya wanna have soem real fun. See my sig!

Hay AMDguy read your thing under tips and techniques about your water cooling system,good job that is one sweet rig!

I have a 300mhz@350mhz. The voltage on mine, unaltered, is 2.2 volts. My advice would be to buy at least a new heatsink and fan. Mine is a thermaltake III - which many have said is overkill for my chip (Naturally, I disagree). It's relatively inexpensive. Hope this helps!
Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Back