• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s won't boot up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxtoras

Registered
Here's my rig:

NF7-S v2.0
XP1700+DUT3C
2x256MB TWINMOS 3200
80gb Maxtor DiamondMax9
Sapphire AtiRadeon 9100 128MB
550Watt Q-TEC psu
slk900a
52x24x52 Lite-On CDRW

I've bought psu,ram,and slk recently and tried to put up this system.I had this combo working with:

512MB Crucial 2700
no name 300Watt psu
aluminium heatsink

I had the shut down and reboot problem in random moments,and thought i could solve it with a better psu!
Sometimes i've heard the siren (like an ambulance) after a cold boot,but had it solved with the bios adjustments.

Now,to the current rig.I've made a fresh installation of XP with both sticks of ram in DIMM1 and DIMM2(and not in DIMM3-2 as manual says).I did this because the first time i've installed the 512MB2700 in DIMM3,a siren started to ring.I think its the beep code number 10 as reported in this sticky http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=218664.
Anyway,putting the ram in DIMM1,made the siren stop and i left it there.Again now,in the first installation of the new rig:

-256mb in DIMM1:posts and boots
-256mb in DIMM1 and 256mb in DIMM3:siren n.10
-256mb in DIMM1 and 256mb in DIMM2:posts and boots

After this i procced to the installation of XP.At bios, cpu:1700+(133x11) and dram ratio :set by default (266mhz)
Everything goes smooth.I finish all installations,run a 3dmark2001 test with these settings and reboot.

In bios,i change the dram ratio(4/6) to get the ram to work in their default mhz,i save and that's it.It won't boot anymore.

-reset c-mos won't do a thing(i have to try with the power button on while the power cord of the psu is off)
-insert button neither
-verified that ram work
-tried every DIMM in every combination
-tried other ram (crucial2700)
-tried another graphiccs card
-changed cpu also
-disconnected cdrw

Things that i have to do:
-this one above in the parenthesis
-take the mobo off the case
-disconnect the hd and leave graphics card and ram and then try to boot.

Any other suggestions??????

What do you think is going wrong?Everything started with the position of the ram sticks and their frequencies.It should go 400mhz asincronus with the cpu at 133,divider 4/6,shouldn't it?

I hope that this can be solved without an RMA or a new BIOS chip!

Greetings to all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

u should keep trying the insert key trick. sometimes u need to have the psu unplugged for about 10 minutes, then plug it back in. Hold down the insert key before and while you press the power button. Try this a couple times. allways works for me. About runnin Async, the performance hit from running async is a big one, i would try to run a 1/1 ratio and just do the fsb that your ram can handle. you will get better performance that way.

J.

juliendogg said:
u should keep trying the insert key trick. sometimes u need to have the psu unplugged for about 10 minutes, then plug it back in. Hold down the insert key before and while you press the power button. Try this a couple times. allways works for me. About runnin Async, the performance hit from running async is a big one, i would try to run a 1/1 ratio and just do the fsb that your ram can handle. you will get better performance that way.

J.

Ok,i know this about performance,with sync-async mode!I tried 4/6 only to get the ram at its nominal speed to see if it works.

I'll try this with the psu unplugged and post again later.

I've done also:
-the insert key trick with the psu unplugged for a certain period of time
-mobo out of the case
-without hd
-with another psu

Same story.

Pulling out the battery,will do any good or do i loose the old bios?

Do you think my bios has been corrupted?

What else is left to do?

I've pulled the battery out also and made a reset c-mos!

Nothing at all!

Right now the board is packed and ready to go.

Back