• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my memory bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KVWire

I just built my new system,
P4 2.8C
Asus P4C800-E
Mushkin Level II PC3500

I find that I can't boot all the way when I set my RAM to 400MHz. When I set it to Auto it sets the RAM at 320MHz. What's up with that? Could I have something else set wrong? I even have "Configure DRAM Timing by SPD" on. I've tried manual settings there too with no luck. Help!

KV

I just ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and got no errors. If I OC to 235 fsb with memory set at 320MHz I error out of Prmie 95.

Help!

Thanks

KV

keep your ram at 100%.. you should be able to have that setting... then test starting from a low fsb and upping it each time...

it takes a lot more to run it in sync than it does with the memory running slower.

remember that if you overclock your fsb to 235, you're effectively forcing your chip to run at 940 mhz as opposed to the original 800, so its not necessarily your ram

Thanks filip04. Last night I increased fsb by 5 each time and got up to 246 fsb, but I had to bring it down to 232 to get Prime95 to work. at 246 fsb my RAM, set on auto, was running at 266MHz. I'm just not sure I have the memory setting correct in the bios.

Thanks tons for your help. It's totally appreciated
KV

With memory set to 400 MHz and no OC of the fsb, I don't get past test 23 of Prime95. What's up with that? Shouldn't I be able to run my RAM at 400 MHz if I'm not even OCed?

KV

KVWire said:
With memory set to 400 MHz and no OC of the fsb, I don't get past test 23 of Prime95. What's up with that? Shouldn't I be able to run my RAM at 400 MHz if I'm not even OCed?

KV
try optimal timings, and if you still can't run it at 400mhz (well, 200fsb) then your ram IS bad.

I'll try the optimal timing now.

If the RAM was bad wouldn't Windows Memory Diagnostic pick that up?

KV

Here are my Bios specs. Could people please check these for me. I want to make sure It's not my settings before I send this RAM back.

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD Disabled
DRAM CAS# Latency 2.0
DRAM RAS# Precharge 2
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 3
DRAM Precharge Delay 6
DRAM Burst Lenght 8
Performance Acceleration Mode Enabled
DRAM Idle Timer Auto
DRAM Refresh Rate Auto

AI Overclock Tuner Manual
CPU External Frequency (MHz) 200
DRAM Frequency 400
AGP/PCI Frequency (MHz) 66.66/33.33

CPU VCore Voltage Auto
DDR Reference Voltage Auto
AGP VDDQ Voltage 1.50V

Performance Mode Auto

Thanks.

KV

Your not alone with having Black Level II that doesn't seem to be working quite right, I can't even boot into windows unless i set the voltage for my ram to 2.7v (this is also at 200mhz). You could try raising the voltage on your ram a bit, i believe its rated 2.5-2.75v or so. That helped me some. Course I'm going to contact mushkin about mine, since it won't do its PC-3500 speeds at all, yet alone at the rated 2/3/2/6 timings. You should do what i'm going to, contact mushkin, they have some of the best customer service you can find. :p

Homicidal, you got it. Up the voltage. 2.7 for normal use, 2.75 for overclocking. I talked to Mushkin today. Great help line. Give them a call, but they told me to run at 2.75. No higher though. Solved my problems.

KV

Back