• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to really use UV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smirabi

ok, everybody has their own preferences for windows and lights. i happen to hate actually looking into a case and seeing the light source, after all, when you walk into a room, do you look at the light bulb, no you look at the stuff. BUT, i know lots of folks dont mind showing their CCFLs, so i thought of this. if you have access to fishing line, the plastic kind, hight lb test is better cause it is thincker, give this a try. wrap your UV CCFL with the line, in whatever way you want... maybe a series of half hitches, or a simple double helix ended with some clove hitches (is it obvios yet that i am an eagle scout?)

here are some pics to illustrate the idea. so, if you wanna show off your UV CCFL, do it with a little style.
2fDH1e.jpg

and this is a different angle
2fDH3e.jpg

i hope this inspires someone...

mod on

I remember reading on here before that someone also found out that the line for the line-trimmers (the kind where you have to tap it to get it to come out) is also UV reactive and comes in different colors (red/yellow/green/etc).

That is really cool. I'll have to do that!

awesome link 9mm, i am gonna have to try that on my.... dammit, the back of my Ti4600 is covered in heatsink... curses, leadtek; curses i say!

I'm with you Smirabi. I tend to enjoy subtle, functional, light from unseen sources, with more focus on the internals of the rig. Function before form...etc...

...heh, but I really dig that :)

Great link there too 9mm! Thanks guys...cool stuff.

You know, i've always known fishing line was UV reactive, but never did i learn how to add correctly. (2 + 2 still equals 5)

Wish i would have figured out this first, but, since i didn't..nice job. Gave me a trick to use now..

Might check into the fly fishing line also. I'm betting it is UV reactive also to give it that high visibility in sunlight (just like the dye in detergent). It's also a lot thicker..

Wiseass said:
I remember reading on here before that someone also found out that the line for the line-trimmers (the kind where you have to tap it to get it to come out) is also UV reactive and comes in different colors (red/yellow/green/etc).

That is really cool. I'll have to do that!

yup! :) they do.

Sweet! I was almost tempted to buy a thin UV wire from the computer store here, and it looked just like that but was like 20 bucks!

I would love to take some time and do my entire mobo and video card with that pen idea too.

Yeah a few buddies of mine did it and it looked awesome. I thouth that you could probably do it with UV paint to, if you had a thin brush or whatever. But it is really easy to do.

probably a dumb question, but how did oyu get to wrap the line around the tube in such an uniform way, and how or what did you use to keep all the lines in place?

hey man, never a dumb question. ok, because it all starts with keeping them in place, i'll answer that first.

basically, if you know what an overhand knot is (it's the simplest knot ever, the one you start with when you tie your shoes) then you can make them stay put. i started with a slipknot (an overhand knot tied around the string, so it can slip tighter) and after that, i'd wrap it a few times and do knots in the wrapping... damn, knots are harder to explain than i thought. basically the phrase "if you don't know knots, tie lots" works well here (doesn't work so well in rock climbing). so, tie whatever you have to to get it to stay put at one end and repeat the procedure at the other end.

to get the uniform pattern, just take it slow. use your eye to judge distance between loops and you can use an extra thumb to hold the wrapping down as you do it. if this doesnt make sense, go find a pipe and some string and just practice. i would not reccommend fishing line for practice because it's wiley and doesnt like to stay tied or stay in place. if you have more questions, just ask or PM.

Back