• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old router issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

Hello, i've owned my router for about 3~4 years now.. and starting about a year ago it's been acting pretty funny... First of all whenever I download a lot of things at once the connection seems to just drop and I can't access my router at all through 192.168.1.1 (the default router address) =/ i usually have to turn off the router and turn it back on to gain connection to it again. that was fairly annoying but was livable, nwo starting last week I can not seem to keep a connection with a server for very long, the only thing I can really do is browse hte internet.. and that's if the web page doesn't have a lot of images on i :( is this a common thing with old routers or something? or maybe my particular model? it's very frustrated how I can't download anything bigger than 500k unless i use getright and puase and resume every 2 seconds.. I can't even check my e-mail >_<

any help or comment would be appreciated

connection info
SBC Yahoo! DSL
Linksys BEFSR11
latest filmware

Try to hook a computer directly up to the DSL modem and see if you have the same problems. Just turn on a firewall first;) It could be a problem with the DSL. Also check to make sure that filters are on all phones and Tivo's or anything else hooked up to a phone jack. Good luck and let us know if it is definitely the router:D

thanks for the tip! i should've tried this ages ago to verify =P (maybe i did like 2 years ago.. who knows =/ ) well i'm not connected directly and i don't need to refresh this page 10 times in hopes of the cache getting enough data anymore! =D any ideas on what happened to the router?

Nope but there should be a way to reset it. You should also update the firmware. You will have to enter all your info again but that should not be too bad. If it is still acting up after that then just get a new router:D Good luck:D

yeah I already got the latest filmware and as a result also reset everything =( is a new router the only answer? sighh..

if so, any recomendations? prefer linksys since i'm so used to it's settings by now haha

Also check your cat5 cables. You never know when it is the little things:D I like my linksys :Dhttp://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561

Back