• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why wouldnt you use AA and AF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

I DL'd the halo demo. Played it with 4xaa and 4xaf. 1024x768x32. Graphics were Lousey. Very clear But lacking real detail.

Ok now to 8xaa and 16xaf. OMG! What a difference! If i never turned it up, i would have never known How much detail i was missing. Alls i can say is why wouldnt you use AA and af!

The thing that got me thinking was my kid came in the room and says, Dang dad The xbox vcersion looks A ton better than that. He says that Must be all PC games dont look as good as the Console versions. I said hold on, Let me try this. Turned up AA and AF to max and he said. WOW! Now that looks more like it. There was So MUCH detail i didnt know what to look at. Looked awesome. Not a stutter at all.

I honestly didnt think AA and AF made that much difference. Man all my games will be useing it for now on cranked.

Harry

The thing is all these settings adds up to versatility for the pc compared to the xbox or anything similar. As more demanding games are released all you need do is turn down the details and you can still play it. With the dedicated game machines you are stuck with what you have. Don't forget you can upgrade your pc more easily also.

HUuum gets me to wondering; Can you overclock a xbox?
Where's my screwdriver? :D

Cheers,
Mike

AA and AF don't work for me :( Maxed out (YEAH!) or turned off, the graphics are the same...

Mabey it's just because I heve the demo :D

Try hooking your computer up to your TV. Set the TV to clone mode and run Halo. Even without AA/AF, your game will look exactly like the XBOX version. It supprised me when I first ran it how awesome it looked compared to my monitor!

JigPu

Thats cool Jig

In going to try the TV deal soon. It just amazed me that without aa and af the demo looked like YA know, Just lack luster. The xbox version was tons better looking. But it truely amazed me How much MORE detail The PC demo had when i cranked up AA and AF. 8x and 16x. I never thought of trying it till my kid told me it looked like crud on the PC version. Now with the aa and af on, The PC demo rocks the xbox version. If not it looks The same or a bit better.

That was my point. Now im gonna Play All my games with it maxed out unless online and FPS is a real issue.

Harry

anistrophic filtering helps a little but antialiazing just blurs the edges..........

fsaa.jpg

fishfsaa.jpg

There is a HUGE difference between what happens with text and simple lines, then with 3D images being rendered

Thats what i was gonna say

I noticed that when i started to experement with the aa ans af. I think ALL my games have new life. So what if i took a bit of a hit in FPS. I dont go under 35 in any of them. So just for the sheer enjoyment of the visuals i am pleased as punch with the aa and af. I never really tried them at length till my kid said halo looked like a cheap nintendo 64 game.

Harry

The reason console games look so good on a TV despite their generally crap resolution is that a TVs are really blurry compared to monitors, especially when the brightness in adjacent phosphors is different -- which is basically the same effect as 4xSupersampled FSAA, since it masks all the jagged edges. :)

Try playing a console game on the video-in of a TV capture card (so you're seeing the video image on a computer monitor) and you'll see what I mean. It looks like crap.

Matthias99 said:
The reason console games look so good on a TV despite their generally crap resolution is that a TVs are really blurry compared to monitors, especially when the brightness in adjacent phosphors is different -- which is basically the same effect as 4xSupersampled FSAA, since it masks all the jagged edges. :)

Try playing a console game on the video-in of a TV capture card (so you're seeing the video image on a computer monitor) and you'll see what I mean. It looks like crap.

HUuum, is that also the reason LCDs look better than crts?
That wouldn't account for the better text in LCDs though; Would it?

Cheers,
Mike

Ive played all my games with 16xaf ever since I got my 9100. AF doesnt have much of a performance hit on ati cards. I was once thinking about going over to a ti4300, so I tested with af off, and I decided to never go back to nvidia again.

One reason I didn't use AA when I had my Radeon 8500le 128mb was that...Halo wouldn't load correctly. It would get to the Microsoft intro then freeze, but the sound would keep going as if I were at the menu. When I turned AA off, all that was fixed. AF was always on though.

Methical_K said:
One reason I didn't use AA when I had my Radeon 8500le 128mb was that...Halo wouldn't load correctly. It would get to the Microsoft intro then freeze, but the sound would keep going as if I were at the menu. When I turned AA off, all that was fixed. AF was always on though.

Gee, bringing back old terrifying memories, er nightmares!
I used to have a 8500 that done the same thing, among other problems. Went through 3 of'em before finally giving up. None of'em ever ran right..................

Cheers,
Mike

From what I hear, Halo cannot use AA. I've forgotten the exact terms and I can't find the link, but it has to do with Halo using a screen buffer for other information, so the video card can't do an AA operation on it. It will still try though, so that will slow down the game as much as if it worked, but you get no benefit. I'll try to find that link.

Restorer said:
From what I hear, Halo cannot use AA. I've forgotten the exact terms and I can't find the link, but it has to do with Halo using a screen buffer for other information, so the video card can't do an AA operation on it. It will still try though, so that will slow down the game as much as if it worked, but you get no benefit. I'll try to find that link.

Yeah there are several programs that AA doesn't work well with or make much difference with. UT is one example. There just isn't much difference regardless to how much AA one uses in UT. I noticed this way back when using the 3Dfx v cards. But you can't tell many people about such games, including the game you mentioned, Halo, because people has their own excuses as to why AA works for them. And I can't knock something someone else claims works for them, even though they will knock my v card concerning AA or anything else they can. Nor can I spend forever debating the reasons with them. But I do agree with you on this.

Cheers,
Mike

YEah Halo doesnt work with AA at all... AF works but AA needs a special trick. Halo runs so slow I cant imagine anyone actually using AA in Halo. But Give us a screenshot.. maybe your AA is on...

Yeah and OC550... you need to give it up... man you show those letters and the fish... as if it were some kind of difinitive proof of how AA is renedered in game. Seriously I think you need a new drum to beat because that ones worn out.

it shows so far how it blurs text, the games I play get blurred with aa so I dont care for that. af is fine, but didnt notice much either. the best thing is just super high res :)

Back