• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frustration..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[OC]Lucifer

Ok AMD'ers here's the deal. I swapped my old case and DVD setup for a slot a 700 TBird and a Gigabyte 7IXE. I figured if someone can 'clock a 500 classic Athlon with cache running at half speed to 800, I should be able to hit a gig with my 700 right? So I bought an Alpha 7125 cooler with the dual Sunon 60mm's, and a Northwind rev3 GFD. I could only hit 850 stable at first. I tossed out my Kingston NIc and hit 900 stable. Am I missing something? Is there a way I cant get it to run at 1000 (10X100) or 1035 (9X115)? I am running an Inno3d Tornado Geforce2MX 32MB, a SBLive MP3+, 1 256MB PC133 KingstonValueram stick, 1 256MB PC133 Micron stick, and 1 128MB PC100 Valueram stick. Any ideas? I really want to hit the ghz that I couldnt hit with my old celery system (927)
Thanks,
LTrey

wel first of all, why did you buy a slot a? You can get a 1Ghz Thunderbird for like $90. And in many ocasions they overclock to about 1400.

well first of all answer his damn question. I think he swapped a friend for it or something. I think the PC100 valueram may be the problem. I would take that stick of ram out and see what happens. Also I have heard that the cache on classic athlons can be a problem. If you have the money a slot a tbird would offer better cache i believe. Maybe some classic athlon user can tell me if im right but the classic athlon cache ran at half the speed of the processor where as the tbird runs at full speed.

Allow me to clarify. I swapped a DVD setup and a case for this mobo/CPU, so it was a heck of a deal, because I didnt need the other stuff, and even at 700 it could probably perform like my 900mhz+ OC'ed celery II. The CPU is a TBird, I just mentioned that if HardOCP could hit 800 with an Athlon Classic with air cooling, why cant I hit a Gig (same 300mhz OC) with my much more overclockable TBird? Any suggestions? Better Mobo maybe? (I am running a Gigabyte 7IXE right now.)
Thanks

i think he means socket A because the Slot A athlon's are considered the classics since there L2 cache was only runnin at half speed and since he is at 900mhz i think he is using a socket a since the classic stopped at like 500-700

scotty2hottie (Jul 18, 2001 04:28 p.m.):
i think he means socket A because the Slot A athlon's are considered the classics since there L2 cache was only runnin at half speed and since he is at 900mhz i think he is using a socket a since the classic stopped at like 500-700

If you read his post he says he's using a goldfinger device. although you arte correct. the slot a athlons are athlons and not thunderbirds

Yeah, I have heard of a slot a t-bird. And to answer the question, some procs just don't do as well as others.

Back