• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MMO's Coming Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I've tried playing some MMO's and I've only had one I've liked so far which was EVE, it was a more recent space based one and I was stupid for getting out of it because I want to play it again, just don't want to take the time to get back into it though since I spent close to 500+ hours to get to where I was in the couple months I played.

I've played Everquest for a little while, and DAoC for a bit longer since it was a new release and its much easier to get into a new release game then something thats been out for a while.

I was just wondering what other MMO's that will be coming out in the next year or so that I can look forward to. Also any insite and personal thoughts on them as well.

FFXI is out now, getting pretty much mixed reviews from everyone

im not sure when world of warcraft or everquest 2 will come out, sometime next year i suppose since they havent started beta testing yet

World of Warcraft is the one im waiting for...also there is Horizons, Lineage II, Ultima X cant think of any others off the top of my head :p

Middle Earth, Mythica, Matrix, and City of Hero's are also coming out sometime.....eventually...maybe :p

Cool, nice list to start looking for more information on now. Thanks

These aren't in any particular order. Just in categories:

Ones to look at:
1. Mythica
2. World of Warcraft
3. Everquest 2

Ones to stay away from:
1. Final Fantasy XI
2. Anything that doesn't come out in America first.

The reason for the last comment is because looking at FFXI, they tailored it to japanese preference. Who (other than die-hard anime lovers and die-hard FF lovers) would want to run around in a game that has male super models, little fuzzy creatures and school girls that look exactly like each other only with different colored hair or cat ears coming out of their heads as the only playable races? I much prefer the traditional elves, dwarves humans and orcs, or atleast aliens of some sort.

Anyways, I don't wanna turn this into an FFXI battle again, so I'll finish up with something else. The ones I listed to look at seem to be the most compelling to me for these reasons:

1. Mythica will probably be good because supposedly, you don't start off killing bunnies and rats. You start off as sort of a demi-god or something like that and you fight for the honor of your patron god.

2. World of Warcaft will likely be good as well because it seems like it's got a good conflict going for it (which is what I LOVE about MMO games) and the graphics, although very cartoony, look very nice

3. Everquest 2 has got a good shot because it's going to be using some hardcore graphics, plus, it's going to be very populated very fast and there will be a lot of diversity between players since the Everquest community is so big in the first place. I tihnk they had something like 1 million subscribers, or something outrageous like that, at one time..

"3. Everquest 2 has got a good shot because it's going to be using some hardcore graphics, plus, it's going to be very populated very fast and there will be a lot of diversity between players since the Everquest community is so big in the first place. I tihnk they had something like 1 million subscribers, or something outrageous like that, at one time.."

pssst graphics dont make a game....anyways i dont think EQ2 will do as good as the original, World of Warcraft I think is going to be the top MMO when it comes out and for a long time after its out too :p

Amino said:

3. Everquest 2 has got a good shot because it's going to be using some hardcore graphics, plus, it's going to be very populated very fast and there will be a lot of diversity between players since the Everquest community is so big in the first place. I tihnk they had something like 1 million subscribers, or something outrageous like that, at one time..

I think it was somewhere between 200k-300k. Where as some of the others were around 100k. That is active, total active and unactive might be around 1M though (I have no idea).

I hear you about the Anime. Its hard to get immersed into the Candy Land of MMO games, but I may still give it a shot once I see how it stacks up against other MMO games... after the start up problems;)

I saw my friend playing FFXI, I havent read a thing about it but I am going to give it a try anyways :) looked pretty fun *shrug* just my opinion...

El-Scotto said:
pssst graphics dont make a game....anyways i dont think EQ2 will do as good as the original, World of Warcraft I think is going to be the top MMO when it comes out and for a long time after its out too :p

I know graphics don't make a game, but when graphics are lacking, it completely obliterates the game, and when they are stellar, the game REALLY shines. Plus, I just spent $400 on a Radeon 9800 Pro. I wanna freaking use it, damn it! :D

El-Scotto said:
I saw my friend playing FFXI, I havent read a thing about it but I am going to give it a try anyways :) looked pretty fun *shrug* just my opinion...

I'd really hold off on FFXI if you've played any other MMOs, bro. If you haven't already, check out this thread. It goes from "can't wait till I get it on my computer!!!" to "why is this being sold in stores???"

Just hold off for a tiny bit longer and a slew of awesome ones are going to come out to rock everyone's world/server. :D

i think the only one out there i havent tried yet is DAoC :p *shrug* i dont have money for it yet, and im switch to WoW nomatter what :p

I'd have to say that DAoC is one of the better ones out there right now. It's got really good visuals, character selection/creation is fun, and the conflict/PVP aspect is probably among the top 3 systems in MMOs to date.

yeah the quests are crappy, but well... I mean I guess I'm not into that part of the game. I don't think I did a single quest while playing DAoC.

It's all about dungeons.

:p
i dunno i had a lot of fun with asherons call, but now the game is over run by third party programs and 1337 dudes, it was great back in the day, more complex than most mmo's and thats what i liked about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know graphics don't make a game, but when graphics are lacking, it completely obliterates the game, and when they are stellar, the game REALLY shines. Plus, I just spent $400 on a Radeon 9800 Pro. I wanna freaking use it, damn it!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hehehe Star Wars Galaxies is a good example of this :p

Back