• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building NWN/SOU server soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Hey, just wanted to let you all know I'll get my new duallie up sometime in the next couple of weeks (still waiting on some parts from SVC but my order is on hold cuz they're moving).

Anyway, I'll host my hakpaks and run servers for either game, though I may not be able to play much myself until late at night.

That would be a good excuss for me to start playing NWN. I'm assuming the expansion will be required?

Last edited:
I'll run it with or without the expansion, with or without my ultimate hakpaks. Depends on who's in on it and what you all want. The server will not allow for cheating, but I'll be tinkering with modules, so you may find some unusal items now and then.

FYI- I hak the game to add cloaks, new character head models, ioun stones, bowstrings, new armor and weapon models, dresses (SOU only), and a bunch of other minor things. The hakpak for SOU is about 90mb. I'll host it so you all can d/l it if you want it. The one for NWN is smaller, but I can't think of the size off hand.

Pic of ioun stones coming soon. I just got these working and they're cool so I figure I'll post a pic when I can.

I may consider joining in too. NWN is the bestest. :D But I agree with Lusankya, it would be best if its a persistent environment. It'd be nice to leave items/whatever on the server in your own area or something. IF thats possible. :rolleyes: :)

I'm studying up on running the gameserver. I'll have to arrange my network to do it. And I'm hoping to use Debian on my new duallie with the standalone NWNserver, then just do module editing on my Win box.

Case is coming soon- probably shipped today or will ship tomorrow.

SLK900a- Found out my order was on hold b/c I had changed my CC billing address and used the old addy when I made the order.

Anyway, hardware should all be ready next week.

2000 downstream
700 upstream

Think it'll lag?

PS- Serving the game and playing when I can is one thing, DM'ing and module development is something else that I don't have time for.

i was able to host a good six players easily on a dedicated server with less than half the upload your dealin with

id say you should be good till about 25+ players or so (guestimate)

That sounds awesome Arkaine... I've had my eyes on NWN for a long time.

Just for the sport of it, I might go buy it and play with you guys... I used to be an avid Diablo LOD player, and loved Baldurs Gate, and as far as I know, NWN should be a fusion of the two. no?

Cheers, Flix

Arkaine23 said:
2000 downstream
700 upstream

Think it'll lag?

PS- Serving the game and playing when I can is one thing, DM'ing and module development is something else that I don't have time for.

I've played on a server with 1500/768 ADSL. It lags sometimes pretty bad when there are over 30 players. One way to solve the problem is to set most monsters don't drop any remain. Lots of people just leave the remain behind since most of them are worthless. Another major problem with laggy is some players only go for bosses, and by pass the monsters on the way. For this situation, Aventia server has one good way to deal with it. They stuck the player for 30 sec. for spawning too many monsters. They'll be stuck again and again when they try to open a door unless they go back to wipe the monsters out.

If you want to make a good NWN server, one important thing is to add new areas all the time. So people won't feel bored about your server. Aventia servers really have some good ideas(bad ideas too), they allow players to add areas(well the admin check the areas first before really add them). So you don't need to do all the work. Their bad idea is to allow people who "donate" add their own custom items(insane unfair items that other players can never have). Try to make the game fair for everyone by allowing every item on the server avaliable to every player. It is a good idea to make some really good items only available in some very tough bosses' remains instead of you can buy everything at stores.

I can make some "custom" items for you. Well of course I want them to be available to every player in order to keep the game fair.

So when will your server up? Server name?
your email address for receiving files?

Next expansion will be out in a few weeks. At least that's what I heard. Everything include good character builds and lots of items will become useless by then since the new expansion will allow level 40.

One thing about DM, it's not a good idea to add lots of DM.(only add a few really nice people) I've had experience with some stupid DM playing around with monsters for fun. Once we went to fight a monster(we used to beat it with only 3 people), and a DM must did something to it...it went mad....we first had 4 people, then another 2 parties arrived and we joined forces over 10 players total, that monster kept killing killing killing...we kept rez rez rez. It was definatly not normal, it could never be that tough without DM's tricks. Finally we had to port out.

Be very careful when you choose DMs. Some people just like to use every little power they have to gain "fun" for themselves by harming others.

Last edited:
I haven't decided on a name for it yet... I was thinking:

Overclocked Winter Nights
or
Shadows of the Underclock

I will probably limit it to 8-12 players to conserve bandwidth. I doubt all that many of us will be on at once at any given time unless we start a good group and really work to coordinate play times. The server will be passworded to prevent outsiders from entering.

My email has a small limit on it, so maybe transferring through irc or ftp would be better. I'm planning to make this server serve up some ftp (but only the custom game files, and limited access to conserve bandwidth). I'm pretty handy at making uber-items, but I plan on keeping it real and fun and challenging for that matter, so don't count on getting anything as far as item go (but I do have a hankering for ioun stones)...

I haven't run across any really great player-made modules, but then I haven't tried any recent ones either, so we'd probably start with the campaign modules for NWN and SOU and HOU when that expansion is out. But if anyone wants to make a module or recommends one for playing, we can try it out.

Still have an ETA of about a week to even get the server built, much less configured. Probably by the ned of the month it'll be up and running.

Last edited:
The company made moduels are too easy, not much challenge. Since everyone is so easy to reach max level, and everything is so weak to us once we are level 20. For this reason, we have to add some "insane" monsters, well not too insane. We definatly need something require a team of max level players work together to beat.

I can help you to make some :)

BTW, these files include items and monsters are extremely small. Only a few KB each. It will be easier to put a bunch of files into one folder then send it to your email.

Last edited:
Back