• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T-bird 1.2 O/C tips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merlin

Hello. I am about to build my new system which I have detailed below. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to o/c it. I have a Coolermaster EP5-6I11 heatsink and fan. I also have one extra case fan and was wondering where would be the best place to put it, and what direction should the air be blowing? And lastly, what is the difference between thermal paste and thermal tape. And to be more specific, the diff between generic paste and Arctic Silver. Thank you very much for any help!!

Congrats one your new system. Looks like some pretty choice parts. As for the air flow, I like everything to go out the back. I dont know what type of power supply you have, but check to see if it sucks air thru the ps and into the case, or it the ps sucks air from the case and exhausts out the back. If it is sucking outside air into the case, if would disassemble it and turn the fan around. That way you are not putting the hot air from the power supply into the case. As for the fan placement with only one fan, I would have it suck fresh air into the case from the front. As for paste vs tape, I would go with the paste. Artic Silver is great. I seem to get more of a temp drop with it than regular thermo grease. As for how far you can overclock it, check out any of wild_andy_c's posts, on this mobo-he is running his at 186 right now. I dont think your memory will let you get this high, but with the 1/5 pci divider bio's you might be able to run at 166. Check out some of his wisdom here

Robo is right about the A/S2, it makes a big difference.
If you are planning on going for more than 1.4 mhz, I would suggest a better HSF. Here is a review of some good ones;

Would it be alright if I use thermal tape for about a week before a get my Arctic Silver 2 paste? What is the best way to remove any junk left on the processor after the thermal tape is removed? I'm not thinking about o/cing it over 1.4ghz. I didn't think my memory was too bad. In fact here is a review that pitted it close to the Micron memory.

I wouldn't use the thermal tape at all, especially over 1ghz..but I don't have much experience w/tape..still..

ask yourself, is not waiting for some good paste worth another processor?

*is biased against thermal tape*

it comes on the heatsink and the heatsink says it is good for up to 1.33. I am not going to o/c it yet. I am just wondering how hard it is to get the junk off the cpu. I heard it is not that hard with alcohal. I have an uncontrollable itch to get this computer up and running and I dont think i can wait another week to get my paste. The tape will only be on for a week. I am coming from a k6-3 450 so I really need to get this running :)

Don't worry. The tape is fine for only a week. But as soon as you get that AS2, remove every last trace of the tape that you can.

Back