• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble installing XP w/new mobo, won't install, dies each time.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StealthMode

Trouble installing XP w/new mobo, *UPDATE* It installed, new problems now

I got my new 8RDA3+ to work finally, and so I am trying to install XP, well, I get the SATA driver installed, and it finishes that setup and I get to the point where it says it is starting Windows XP (for the rest of the installation) and thats when my computer just turns off. I have to hold the power button down till the HD light goes off, and then i can restart again. I always get to the same spot, and it crashes.
Before I could actually boot into my previous XP install and work in there no problem at all. But I can't install. I tried doing it through XP but when I restart I get to the same point and it crashes.
I then fdisked the partition to start over with it, but no luck, and I also tried different RAM, and still had the same prooblem, even tried my old 80gb IDE HD and still the same problem... You guys have any ideas?
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if it was all software or hardware problem.

System Specs -
AMD Barton XP2500+
Epox 8RDA3+ Rev1.1
2x256mb PC3200 Corsair (buggy I believe) & 256mb PC2700 Kingmax (secondary rig's RAM that I tried)
WD SATA 120gb HD
Pioneer 16x Slot DVD
LiteOn 52x24x52x Burner
Antec Sonata w/380watt PSU

If you guys have ANY idea on whats wrong and how to fix it I'd really appreciate it. Thanx

Stealth -

Last edited:
Check out this MSKB article #310760 . That is your exact problem I think. Hope that helps. I had that problem, but it turned out to be my ram. As you said you have tried different ram though, so its probably not that. Good luck!

Matt

Yea, thats my problem all right. I still can't seem to get it working right. Maybe I need a new SATA driver? I am at my wits end with this board. Any ideas how I can get this board to work? I know that if I can get XP installed it will run at least half way decent...

Stealth -

Thats the problem ive always had, either that or it tries to load from HDD0 or somthing other then the SATA because its not set right in the bios.

Are you sure when you installed it you got to the point that says "would you like to install a third party SCSI drive" you chose that? could it be possible the files on your disk are damaged? floppy disks can go bad if you just breathe on em wrong.

can you load the scsi drivers froma CD? i have never tried im asking.

what about default or safe settings in the bios?

im just throwing some things to try.

Tried all the above.. I am wondering if there is a new version of the SATA driver by chance that would work.
MS's site didn't help all that much, basically just clarified that it was a problem...

Stealth -

Is it a new harddrive?WD drives if your runing a single drive requires no jumper be installed on some drives

Its a new SATA WD 120gb. The jumpers are at default where they should be. At least thats what I read, that yer not supposed to change them since they are single drives basically. You cant really slave 2 SATA drives.
I was able to install XP on it when it was plugged into my Asus A7N8X Deluxe board. Everything worked flawless on there. But the board has gone very flaky on me so I bought a new one, the Epox 8RDA3+, and i can't get anywhere on this thing..

Stealth -

Also, I tried my other 80gb IDE drive and I had the same problems, so maybe it isn't SATA related? I dunno, tell me what you think.

man i had this same problem the first day i got my board 2 drives and my first run with sata.

I dono what i did but i set somthing in the bios that got it working.

my problem was it would install the OS then after the first boot the drives were gone. The OS knew where to install the files but after the reboot it didnt know where the drives were.

some setting in the bios changed somthing and now it boots off the SATA raid.

Another weird thing it did was install somthing on the boot sector or somthing and after i couldnt get the SATA raid to work i went to format the drives and it wouldnt format one of them 100% it would stop at 99% and say it couldnt finish there was a problem. i think the raid controler put somthing on the drive that was the boot drive?

im just glad i got it up and running and its been rock solid ever since.

I can't get the OS to install though, I get to the point where it says Setup will now start Windows XP, after it loads all the devices and what not, then it dies. Do you remember what settings you changed to get it working by chance?
Like I said before, both hard drives didn't work, so maybe it's not totally an SATA problem??
Thanx for the help though guys, keep tryen, we'll get it! lol If worse comes to worse I have an RMA number here for it and I can ship it off monday. But I wanna get it working if possible.

Stealth -

Ok, I loaded the FailSafe Defaults and set my boot order and enabled my floppy and it seems to be working. I actually got to the formatting part, which I am doing right now. We'll see if I can actually complete the install :)

Stealth -

Last edited:
Ok, XP installed finally, but, once I get into wondows, certain apps or drivers that previously downloaded will not install. I double click them and I get to where its about to install and my computers dies. For instance the latest nForce drivers and the latests Cat 3.9's will crash my computer when I start them. Not sure what else will yet. been too busy rebooting.. Any ideas on wtf is happening?
Thanx again

Stealth -

have you looked up this board anywhere? Do a search on your board and problems.

Dont seem righ tyou rhaving so many problems so soon.

Im reading they say the rev 1.1 of that board has a hard time running at 200fsb, what fsb are you running?

Last edited:
I found a forum that talks alot about epox boards.

"I'm getting a real nice boost in HD performance with the new 3.13 SW drivers"

Maybe there is a IDE controler drive bug?

Its the amdforums.com

AMDforums

Well I got everything running stable finally. Actually ended up underclocking.. The Barton 2500+ is 166fsb, I had to underclock it to 133 and now everything is running stable. I don't see why I have to underclock and drop off half my RAM for an upgrade... The board is getting RMA'd and I am ordering new RAM hopefully next week. I am currently using my secondary rig's RAM, 256mb Kingmax PC2700. Anyway, there is the update so far..

Stealth -

Back