• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1.2GHz acting like 900MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottSpot

I'm new to overclocking, but this isn't even about overclocking yet, it's about my default settings. I got a 1.2GHz Athlon Thunderbird Socket A chip, and an IWILL KK266 motherboard from the same supplier. I put together the system and started it without changing anything yet and the BIOS detects a 900MHz AMD CPU. I run SiSoft Sandra 2001 and it tells me I'm running a 902MHz chip. Funny thing, the chip is labelled as follows, which shows it is a 1.2GHz chip.

A1200AMS3C
AXIA0115BPKW

Maybe some mislabeled chips came out of the factory in April?

I'm sure the chip is fine.
It's probably a "C" chip, default multiplier is 9x.
You need to set the FSB to 133 instead of the 100 you have now.
On the Iwill, it's a small jumper, just to the right of the processor.
Enjoy the board, I love mine!

um yeah i'll buy that "mislabeled" chip from you for 70bucks. j/k

you need to move the jumper on the mobo to get the 133fsb. it is in the upper right area near the cpu and ram. 133 is this _. and 100 is this ._

well at least I am pretty sure just change it and you will have a 1.2ghz chip.

Like they are saying, "it aint no thang" Just set the jumper...same thing happend to me when i built my Girlfriends compter...I freeked out for a day and then called the company and they told me to do that. I was afraid I got the wrong chip but that is alll you got to do

You got a 133 Mhz Fsb CPU. Some Mainboards don´t recognize that.
So, go into your Bios, Change Fsb to 133, and you should have your 1.2 Gig T-Bird. (9x133 =1200 Mhz)
Oh, I forgot to welcome you to the forum

don't listen to ranger he is wrong you can only go to 132 in the bios if you don't move the jumper. Also I would liek to recommend flashing your bios to 042601.

Welcome to the forums and good job on your first post it had all the details and made perfect sense. I just hope it works okay.

Stay in school and away from ORBS!

Thanks everyone,

That fixed it. I guess I assumed that it would start out acting like a 1200MHz chip and I'd work my way up from there. I changed the jumper and now the BIOS and Sandra both detect 1.2GHz. It's only up from here!

Back