• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this stepping good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heatsinkguy

Disabled
Hi i just bought this Intel p4 3ghz 800fsb from www.newegg.com
Is this stepping good?
cpuinfo.JPG

is that good? like can i geta good oc or something?

the temperatue is awsome because its 19 celcius idle

that's the newest stepping that you can get the 3.0C with, so yeah, that's good.

it should be a very nice chip. tell us how you get along. just get a nice heatsink for your 3.0C though. using the stock heatsink would be a bit of a shame for that CPU.

19C is really low. how hot is your ambient? do you trust that reading?

All my temps have been verified by bios, upgraded bios, asus probe, motherboard monitor, hmonitor

I run two computers in the same room. Athlon Xp 2000+ and 3ghz p4. My room is small and the 2000+ has its case open so the whole room heats up. Today at noon my idle temp was 22 celcius while my max load was 38 celcius.

Right now(9pm) it is 19 celcius idle, 38 celcius max load. i cofirmed using bios(in bios it was 20 celcius).

The funny thing is my case runs hotter. Case temp is 32 idle and 38 load.I even used cheap thermal paste. My case is thermal take xasier with seven fans.

My room is pretty coool right now btw....not that cool because its getting heated by my AMD 2000+ :)

hey btw my vcore is 1.58 and it fluctuates to 1.59...should i be worried about S.N.D.S? cuz this chip is awsome and cost alot(275 bucks). If something happens will intel replace at their cost?

The newer the CPU, the more overclocking potential it has. Individual steppings aren't secret indications of overclocking potential, they simply represent a certain level of improvement over previous models. Don't think of steppings in terms of "good and bad," think in terms of "new and old."

sorry I was gone for a while.

with 1.58~1.59v you don't need to worry about the sudden death syndrome. the advised voltage for everyday use is to stay at or lower than 1.65v.

how cool is your room? it's very weird that your CPU temperature is lower than your system temperature. that just sounds wrong to me.

regardless of temperatures, I'd say get a nice heatsink for your valuable processor, as you did spend quite a bit on the processor already. that way you'll be able to extract the most you can from it.

I checked the bios and everything i could...ALL give same temperature readings( plus or takeaway 1 c). Right now it is noon and my cpu temp is 21 celcius and my case is 33 celcius. Iam amazed tooo. The bios confirmed it(24 celcius).

Is it because i have 7 thermal take fans and nice psu in a tower case? This case has tons of ventilation although the ide cables construct airflow.

do you have a thermometer in your room anywhere? basically your CPU temperature can't be lower than your room temperature, even it is idle.

The temperature right now is cold...i would say about 19 celcius...
Then how come my case is hot(33 celcius) and my cpu is 19 celcius?

MJJ: SL6WH is of the D1 stepping. there's just one group of even newer D1 stepping 2.6C, SL6WS, but your 2.6C should overclock quite nicely.

Heatsinkguy: I think there's got to be something wrong with the readings. not that you are reading it wrong, what I mean is that the temperatures are not being measured properly by the probes

in air cooled systems, the CPU temperature should always be higher than the case temperature. that's for sure. either your CPU temperature is being measured as too low (quite likely), or your system temperature is measured as too high (possible), or both (possible).

How can the motherboard read temps wrongly? I even updated it and both bios say the same reading...Can the probe be damaged?
I pulled the cpu outof the socket cuz the heatsink was stuck.
I pressed hard on the cpu
i put pressure on the cpu
i cleaned the heatsink and cpu using nail polish remover.
Can these break the probe?(newbie sorry)
thx,
dabe

don't worry about it, many motherboards don't have accurate temperature readings. I know mine does not.

as long as you are running stable, you don't have to worry about the faulty temperature reading.

if the temperatures are measured by probes, then there are many factors which could lead to an incorect temperature reading. The CPU socket probe might have bad contact with the CPU, and the system probe might be too close to a heat source, or they might have been just calibrated wrongly... there are many possible reasons.

all you need to make sure of is that you have good contact between the CPU and the heatsink, that's all. if the probe reads your temperatures a little wrong, so what as long as you are stable?

shiyan said:
MJJ: SL6WH is of the D1 stepping. there's just one group of even newer D1 stepping 2.6C, SL6WS, but your 2.6C should overclock quite nicely.
Thanx man! thats the answer i was hoping for! :D

you see, for christmas im getting myself a new MB, cuz my BH7 isn't any good to my CPU:p

A while after christmas im getting whatercooling/peltier, so lets hope i can push it nearly to 4GHz i hope:D

With new ram ofcourse!;)

hehehehe...i must have a magical cpu...btw the heatsink PUTS ALOT OF pressure on the motherboard so iam sure the socket probe has good contact.

Back