• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Floppy error!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zippykid9

On my nf7 v.20 board with the latest bios (19) I get an error on startup saying, "floppy disk(s) failed (40) even though I have no floppy drive installed at the moment. I used to have one, and it worked, and then I started getting this message and it stopped working. This happened after I installed the computer in my new case, and more specifically, after I installed the two USB ports on the front of the case. Can anyone help me with this problem? I really don’t know what’s wrong and I need my floppy drive back! Thanks, anyone.

Just go into BIOS and shut off Boot Up Floppy Seek and that should solve your problem. Then it won't look for a floppy and generate an error if there isn't one. Hope that helps.

Matt

Ducker said:
Is it a dell?

I noticed also that Dell stopped equipping its new computers with floppy drives. I think it kind of worked both good and bad for them. I bet a whole bunch of people think they saved money because they didn't get a floppy drive. Some people also went crazy and probably called Dell and got suckered into buying one from Dell for more money.

Matt

Ducker said:
That would serve them right. ;) :p

True, but they also made a lot of cash from it, too. I would like to see people collect all their floppy disks and throw them in the back of a garbage truck and then get all the trucks to dump them at Dell HQ. That would be great. Seriously, floppies aren't going out just yet, most people still use them. If you need to take a document with you on media what are you going to do write it to a cd, thats ridiculous. I know they have those usb pen drives, but not too many people use those just set. Seems like a dumb idea to take floppy drives out of the Dell computers, but I'm not the CEO, so it dosen't matter, hehe.

Matt

i would like to clarify that in fact it did have a floppy drive when the problem appeared, but that i have since disconnected the floppy drive in hopes of getting rid of the error message. now, i still get the message, and also windows thinks i have a floppy drive installed, for whatever reason. if someone could help me to figure out why this is, i'd be very greatful!

i managed to make the error go away by making the bios not boot from a floppy, and then reattached the drive. The error didnt come back. (but it probably would if i made it seek at boot again) Unfortunately, the floppy drive still doesnt work. maybe i need a new one.

my system specs are in my sig :) its a abit nforce2 board running an amd 1700+ so its not a dell or a pentium. :p

[edit] spelling [/edit]

Last edited:
It is possible to get an error message even if you just have a floppy cable connected to the motherboard. If you aren't going to use a hard drive, CD ROM, or Floppy, its usually a good idea to disconnect the IDE/FLOPPY cable from the motherboard, and unplug the power to it.

Back