• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

At wit's end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevral

Registered
Although running fine at stock speeds, this is a short list of what I can't get my box to do stable:

-run any higher than fsb 189 x5 synchronous, no matter what timings and voltages
-run async fsb 166, dram 200 at 7-3-3-2.5
-run async fsb 166, dram 200 at 11-4-4-3
-run async and single-channel fsb 166 and dram 200 at 11-4-4-3

However, a single stick of ram (no matter which one) WILL run async at 200 w/o errors and 7-3-3-2.5!

This is with 2x 512mb pc3200 ram! (Twinmos w/winbond)
Also running NF7-S v2.0 and an XP2800+.

It seems to me that I cannot make my 400 mHz ram run at 400 mHz.....
Anything glaring that I haven't tried?
Should/could I RMA the ram?

Ya, that might be the one thing I overlooked with the most relaxed ram timings.

Sure thing.

I just cannot make any sense out of the fact that the two ram sticks will work separately, but not together. Even running single-channel.

OK, tried upping chipset and vDimm voltages to 1.7 (max) and 2.9. Will not run stable at 186 fsb.

Also finally found out what the beeps at startup mean: according to a mail fra Abit, I have cpu or memory problems. That might explain it, I guess.

So now I am trying to think who I might borrow a cpu and ram from to try and isolate the problem....

Back