• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prime95 runs w/o errors but games crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lahrcm

Hello all,

Has anyone ever had prime95 run solid w/o errors for hours on end but other apps (specifically ut2003 and america's army) crap out?

I have an Asus A7N8X pcb 2.0 (bios 1006), paired with a 2500+ barton, and kingston 3200 ram. I can run at 200x11.5 (stock voltage) and not have any errors in prime95 for 9+ hours. If I run UT2003 at that setting it'll crap out after an hour or so. If I run the game at stock speeds it works fine. It also seems to be fine at 180x11. I'm convinced it's a problem with the mobo because if I lower the multi to 9 and run the fsb at 200 I get the same results as 11x200. So... it seems to be the fsb that is the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I run stable at 180x11=1980Mhz but not 200x9=1800Mhz it's not that the CPU can't handle the OC but rather the mobo doesn't like to be run at higher fsb speeds...... Hopefully that makes sense.

Is this reasoning correct or am I missing something here?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

p.s. I've also tried to up the voltage at the higher fsb speeds to no avail. This is also a refurb from newegg so that is one more reason to think it's the mobo.

system is running cool at 32C at load, (highly custom air cooling). Video card is ATI 9600 Pro. I'd be hard pressed to believe it's running too warm or it's the video card. Temps are almost the same no matter what the cpu clock speed is. Video card is not OC'd. And like I said it only crashes if the fsb is over 185. AGP is locked at 66Mhz.

Thanks for the thought anyway.

Solution found...

Turns out either the motherboard can't run PC3200 @ 200Mhz in Dual Channel mode or the RAM isn't good enough to be run that way.

I changed the sticks to slots 1 and 2 so they run in single channel mode and now the pc runs UT2003 at 200x11 w/o any problems.

Thanks JimmyG for pointing me in the right direction.

Back