• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

locked CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Looks like AMD is locking the Bartons now. From looking at the AMD CPU section and seeing all the pathetic moaning, whining, and crying... you'd think the world was coming to an end or something... hahaha! Intel started locking all their CPUs in 1998 and it hasn't stopped us from overclocking.

Cheer up, there will still be ways to overclock and as long as those bridges are exposed on the AMD CPUs, you can always do a mod. On the otherhand, we have already been getting a flood of converts over to Intel since the P-4's are overclocking so well and prices have been coming down, so I suspect lots more folks will be jumping off the AMD ship now.

my next rig might be an intel (by next i mean next year, just ordered my AMD parts ;)) but that's because i'll probably have more money now :) parts on their way, hope i get an unlocked, if not i'll just up the FSB and hope someone figures out how to unlock it :(

I won't be leaving either though I did dump their stock. I don't like to own companies that are misleading. You never know when the bad news will come flying out.

I don't think I'll be leaving either, $50 Thoroughbreds are still plentiful costing three times less than Intel and offering acceptable performance with decent FSB and multiplier overclocks.

I expect a $62 2100+ (because my mobo posts all multis on 2100+ & ups only) to arrive tomorrow and will post how it does in the AMD section. I bought one from the first batch of 2100+ B's from newegg 11 months ago for like $93. It did 2300 MHz with low voltage.

If this one does the same or better, 3x00+ speeds at low voltage is nothing to sneeze at given the super-low cost.

I don't care if 2.4c performs better. It's not worth the money until unlocked Thoroughbred B's are not available any more but by that time, we'll be comparing cost to performance of Athlon 64s, so we're just fine thank you very much and we're not leaving.

batboy said:
Looks like AMD is locking the Bartons now. From looking at the AMD CPU section and seeing all the pathetic moaning, whining, and crying... you'd think the world was coming to an end or something... hahaha! Intel started locking all their CPUs in 1998 and it hasn't stopped us from overclocking.

Cheer up, there will still be ways to overclock and as long as those bridges are exposed on the AMD CPUs, you can always do a mod. On the otherhand, we have already been getting a flood of converts over to Intel since the P-4's are overclocking so well and prices have been coming down, so I suspect lots more folks will be jumping off the AMD ship now.

Well I did not jump AMD's ship more like I expanded my horizion, and experenced somthing cool, I will still build AMD systems for family and friends because they offer a much better price to preformence ratio to Intel, no I am not talking about there $150 models more like there $50 CPU's and there $65 Motherboards which are less or the same as the lowest end NW Intel has to offer, the 1.8a. But as overclockers we will not stop we can find ways to get around what barrers were placed before us, however what I would really worry about is a FSB locks :eek: .

Back