Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Sneak peek at the MCX159MrB that Mr B and I are creating to evaluate this new Fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread
 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-03, 03:51 AM Thread Starter   #1
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

 
Silversinksam's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sunshine State, USA

10 Year Badge
 
Sneak peek at the MCX159MrB that Mr B and I are creating to evaluate this new Fan







(Pic Showing 10,546rpm)



Some interesting facts:
  • A normal MCX159 has 96 pins, The Mcx159Mrb has 163 pins!
  • A normal MCX159 is 40.4 x 40.4 x 42 mm, The MCX159MrB is 50mm x 50mm x 38mm (these numbers are without a fan)
  • The Normal Swiftech Fan rotates at 5200rpm, The MXC159MrB Fan with COUNTER-ROTATING fan spins at a mind boggling 10,500rpm
  • THE MCX159 produces 6.3cfm, The MCX159MrB puts out 18 or 22cfm
  • The MCX159 produces 18dBA, The MCX159MrB JMC fan puts out 41.5-52dBA at 12volts......OK Swiftech wins in the quiet department
  • The Swiftech MCX159 costs around $30, The SwiftechMcx 159MrB for just the heatsink alone (MCX4000) is double that, so we win right?

For Performance numbers you'll have to wait for the Front page article, probably sometime next week.

PS we will run tests using this incredible counter-rotating blade fan running from the crazy 12volt 10,500rpm, down to 4 or 5 volts for those of you like myself that don't like high noise levels.

I'll say this though, if you liked the 60mm Delta Black Max back in the day, you will love this fan even more if your crazy enough to run it at 12volts, when this review is done I will be running it at probably 5 volts.

More details regarding this unique fan Are located here

__________________
-15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 07:32 AM   #2
archilochus
THE Senior FANMAN

 
archilochus's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston,TX-USA

 
What's the advantage of 2 blades going diff. directions at the same time? I don't see it.Please explain. Thanks,THE FANMAN

__________________
MOBYDICK
Intel-2.4c-HT @ 2.9 *SP-94 w/ Delta 92mm HHE w/25mm spacer *FIC-865PE-Max
OCZ 2x512 EL Gold PC 4000 @ 1:1 *2.5/4/4/7 *BFG Geforce 7800 GS OC
80g.Maxtor PATA and SATA *Xaser III. v1000D modified
FULL LOAD Temp 36°C / Syst. temp 23°C /Ambient 20°C (room temp)
F@H TEAM 32 :thup:
archilochus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 07:42 AM   #3
stan03
Member

 
stan03's Avatar 

Join Date: Mar 2003

 
i think there is more pressure which is a good thing.

how loud was the fan?
stan03 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 08:18 AM   #4
archilochus
THE Senior FANMAN

 
archilochus's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston,TX-USA

 
41.5-52.0 dBA.
THE FANMAN

__________________
MOBYDICK
Intel-2.4c-HT @ 2.9 *SP-94 w/ Delta 92mm HHE w/25mm spacer *FIC-865PE-Max
OCZ 2x512 EL Gold PC 4000 @ 1:1 *2.5/4/4/7 *BFG Geforce 7800 GS OC
80g.Maxtor PATA and SATA *Xaser III. v1000D modified
FULL LOAD Temp 36°C / Syst. temp 23°C /Ambient 20°C (room temp)
F@H TEAM 32 :thup:
archilochus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 08:29 AM   #5
omaticrail
Member

 
omaticrail's Avatar 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle area

 
Quote:
Originally posted by archilochus
What's the advantage of 2 blades going diff. directions at the same time? I don't see it.Please explain. Thanks,THE FANMAN
All axial fans produce a conical, spiraling airflow in open air. Some fans have static outlet fins to tame this phenomina(sp?); making the flow more cylindrical and straight. A counter-rotating fan takes advantage of that spiraling inertia (wasted energy from the first fan). A properly designed counter rotating blade will look quite different (not just reversed) from the primary fan's blade. The end result is a much higher static pressure, and increased volume.

__________________
-------------------------- System built in 2005 --------------------------
CPU: Venice 3200 @ 2.55Ghz mobo: ASRock 939Dual-SATAII RAM: 1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
WB: Storm G4 Rad: BIP3 Fans: 3x Panaflo M1A GPU WB: Maze4 Acetal
Pump: DDC
omaticrail is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 12:36 PM Thread Starter   #6
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

 
Silversinksam's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sunshine State, USA

10 Year Badge
 
Quote:
Originally posted by omaticrail

All axial fans produce a conical, spiraling airflow in open air. Some fans have static outlet fins to tame this phenomina(sp?); making the flow more cylindrical and straight. A counter-rotating fan takes advantage of that spiraling inertia (wasted energy from the first fan). A properly designed counter rotating blade will look quite different (not just reversed) from the primary fan's blade. The end result is a much higher static pressure, and increased volume.
Thanks for explaining that, I'll also add this fan has 5 blades on the top and three on the bottom, the top blades are skinnier than the three fatter blades on the bottom, I would assume they produce equal airflow, but this fan blade configuration produces interesting airflow.

I am going to do some Googling today and see if there's any way I can take pics of the actual airflow pattern using Mcgyver like methods (I am leaning towards going to a fireworks store and buying some Smoke bombs, Gotta love fireworks being legal in FL.

I have to borrow my best friends Digital camcorder if I figure out a good method to capture the airflow on digital media, then I'll make a short 20 second movie, with my luck the fireworks store will sell me a mislabeled smoke bomb, and selling me a M80 instead, thus blowing this fan up

__________________
-15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 12:38 PM   #7
deathman20
High Speed Senior

 
deathman20's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Where the Cheese Heads Live

10 Year Badge
 
Quote:
Originally posted by Silversinksam

I am going to do some Googling today and see if there's any way I can take pics of the actual airflow pattern using Mcgyver like methods
Heck yea McGyver ROCK!

__________________
-=The Gamer=-
MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD's / 512GB Samsung 840 Pro
BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
-=The Server=-
Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
3 Gig PC2-6400 | 4x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 1x Samsung F4 2TB
Heat
deathman20 is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 01:48 PM   #8
L337 M33P
Member

 
L337 M33P's Avatar 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: TEH INTERNETS

 
Or, you could go into a really cold room, then have the fan suck warm air out of something like a hairdryer blowing into a large box - illuminate past the fan and you should see the refractory effects of the two different air densities producing a kind of swirly image.
L337 M33P is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 02:09 PM Thread Starter   #9
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

 
Silversinksam's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sunshine State, USA

10 Year Badge
 
Quote:
Originally posted by L337 M33P
Or, you could go into a really cold room, then have the fan suck warm air out of something like a hairdryer blowing into a large box - illuminate past the fan and you should see the refractory effects of the two different air densities producing a kind of swirly image.
I have a 20Lbs Co2 tank for the bar I used to have at my old Abode, perhaps I can figure out a way to do something along the lines that you suggested. Thx

__________________
-15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 02:49 PM   #10
rugbyroy
Member

 
rugbyroy's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ramadi, iraq

 
I have a question. What if you took two of the same exact fan, and hooked them together somehow, but running in opposite directions. Would that have the same effect? Or is this fan special somehow
rugbyroy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 03:07 PM   #11
Twigs
Member

 
Twigs's Avatar 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO

 
I think the fan is special...
Twigs is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 03:21 PM Thread Starter   #12
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

 
Silversinksam's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sunshine State, USA

10 Year Badge
 
Quote:
Originally posted by rugbyroy
I have a question. What if you took two of the same exact fan, and hooked them together somehow, but running in opposite directions. Would that have the same effect? Or is this fan special somehow
The problem is that if you did that, is that the fans would cancel themselves out if they were running in opposite diections, Even stacking fans of the same type blowing in the same direction is problomatic.

The Sweet deal with these fans is they counter rotate to produce the best possible airflow.

__________________
-15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 03:41 PM   #13
wildfrogman
Member

 
wildfrogman's Avatar 

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sitting at my computer playing UT2004.

 
Cool sneak peek, maybe these fans will become really popular and playing around~testing the really new stuff is always cool.
wildfrogman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 04:53 PM Thread Starter   #14
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

 
Silversinksam's Avatar 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sunshine State, USA

10 Year Badge
 
Quote:
Originally posted by wildfrogman
Cool sneak peek, maybe these fans will become really popular and playing around~testing the really new stuff is always cool.
They are making them availablefor sale soon through vendors I have recommended to them.

__________________
-15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 08:59 PM   #15
trinketsummoner
Registered



Join Date: Oct 2003

 
Is there anything to be gained from having 2 fans on the sides of the heatsink - one pushing and the other pulling the air?

*Is a fan newbie*
trinketsummoner is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-12-03, 11:23 PM   #16
Minjin
Member



Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central PA

 
Good idea. I liked it so much that I just bid on and won a MCX370 off of ebay that I'm going to try the same thing with...although I have no desire to run a 52db fan with it.

It looks like it will be nearly identical to a 4000 after its cut down.

Mark
Minjin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-13-03, 08:49 AM   #17
rugbyroy
Member

 
rugbyroy's Avatar 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ramadi, iraq

 
I think I saw a picture of a helicopter that used this same principle.
rugbyroy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-13-03, 08:53 AM   #18
BillA
choke man



Join Date: Jan 2001

10 Year Badge
 
Quote:
Originally posted by Silversinksam


Thanks for explaining that, I'll also add this fan has 5 blades on the top and three on the bottom, the top blades are skinnier than the three fatter blades on the bottom, I would assume they produce equal airflow, but this fan blade configuration produces interesting airflow.

I am going to do some Googling today and see if there's any way I can take pics of the actual airflow pattern using Mcgyver like methods (I am leaning towards going to a fireworks store and buying some Smoke bombs, Gotta love fireworks being legal in FL.

I have to borrow my best friends Digital camcorder if I figure out a good method to capture the airflow on digital media, then I'll make a short 20 second movie, with my luck the fireworks store will sell me a mislabeled smoke bomb, and selling me a M80 instead, thus blowing this fan up
look here

be cool

and who says we don't help our competitors (sic)
BillA is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-13-03, 09:29 AM   #19
vonkaar
Member

 
vonkaar's Avatar 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Flower Mound, TX

 
Great link BillA... thx for that ^_^.

__________________
-->>Ranked #1 of all folders in the world!!<<-- named Vonkaar...
I7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz // MSI X58 Pro-E // Sapphire 5870 // 6x Seagates in RAID0 // Microsoft Keyboard Overclocked to 18 WPM (STOCK COOLING!)

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittamj
vonkaar is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-13-03, 11:46 AM   #20
stan03
Member

 
stan03's Avatar 

Join Date: Mar 2003

 
Quote:
Originally posted by rugbyroy
I think I saw a picture of a helicopter that used this same principle.
me too, it didn't need a tail rotor because the blads on top cancelled out the urge for the helicopter to spin


now only if sss could do what billa found
stan03 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Mobile Skin
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
You can add these icons by updating your profile information to include your Heatware ID, Benching Profile ID or your Folding/SETI profile ID. Edit your profile!
X

Welcome to Overclockers.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this the best community on the Internet since 1998!


(4 digit year)

Why Join Us?

  • Share experience
  • Max out your hardware
  • Best forum members anywhere
  • Customized forum experience

Already a member?