• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heydre

Registered
Just recently got a second Kingston 512mb chip to install on my Epox 4BDA2+. Put it into DIMM2 slot and boot halted after CPU recognition. Pulled DIMM1 and put new chip in it's place and system boots fine. Then put old chip in DIMM2 and same halt after CPU recognition.

VDIMM is currently about 2.75 and I am using Kingston KVR333X64C25 chips.

I seem to remember something about memory limitations on the i845 chipset. Anyone got a clue?

Heydre

Both chip work individually but not as a pair?

Most likely the mobo, Maybe it can't handle the power requirements of 1GB of RAM. How are your voltages with just 1 stick in?

Yes both work individually in the VDIMM1 but not 2. If in VDIMM2 alone I get the fire alarm racket on bootup. Also.....

I found the info I was remembering about the i845 chipset being able to address only 4 banks of memory. So I looked up my memory chips and the .pdf said they were 4 bank chips each. I don't know how since I always thought the 1side=1bank; 2sides=2banks. Here's the .pdf....

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X64C25_512.pdf

States it in first paragraph.

Anyone?

Back