• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are AMD's cheaply made or am I clumsy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Incarnated666

Registered
i just went to return a .12/266 Athlon to the store where i bought it because my computer started bootlooping one day. well, when they inspected the CPU they didnt want to exchange it out because, to my suprise, the little hot square in the middle of the CPU was badly chipped. I talked to a manager and he did finally replace it, but he also told me that there was a big prob with AMD CPU's chipping right there from putting on the heatsink. But im sure i was careful when i installed it. right now i have an ATHLON 900/200 that is in the same condition. does anyone know if AMD will fix it under warranty?
Thanx....

usually vendors won't do that as chipping and cracking the cpu are pretty common. Some hsf do this better than others. The orbs are notorious for doing that do a chip.

Well.... If its OEM amd will not replace it unless its within 30dayz if its retail box you got 5 yrs to replace it amd will send you a brand new one no questions asked they just test it to make sure if your bad cpu works or not.If they find the cpu has probs they will send you a new one asap.Amd was good to me I had a 1.2Ghz athlon 266fsb and they said they could do a one time thing be cause it was oem and after 30dayz, giving me a 900mhz/200 in replace of my 1.2 cause my 1.2 fried on my epox board.Well I was suprized as they sent me another 1.2Ghz 266fsb AXIA-9 = )instead of that so called 900 they said they where gona send .GOGOGO AMD =) ,im just having some freezing probs duno if its relaited to cpu thoe... I tried 3 other CPUS 1.2,1.33,1.4.

Back