• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Thermal compounds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
D

diablo

Whats the best thermal compound to use? Artic Silver 2 e.t.c And if so How much should be used on a AMD 1.4 thunderbird. Do I cover the centre chip or the whole?
As you can guess I haven't a scobby

Artic Silver II is the best I have seen.

You cover just the center chip (core) with AS II. You want to get as thin a layer as possible and still have good contact.

To do this, just put a little compound on the core and smooth it over the core with your finger. Try and make the thickness consistent across it. Then carefully put you heatsink on and then take it off agian to see if good contact was made. A small layer of compound will be have transfered to the heatsink if good contact was made. Make sure that the compound transfered to the heatsink is the same rectaunglar shape as core. If not there was poor contact in the area where part of the rectangle is missing.

Remember to be very careful as the athlon core can chip or be crushed very easily. You might want to invest in a shim.

DO NOT USE YOUR FINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The oils on your skin degrade the thermal conductivity of the compound. Use a razor or the edge of a credit card. Like I said, go to arcticsilver.com and read the instructions they have there. I dropped 5'C using their method.

Fiz

Cheers for the help and finally what should the temp be for a normal un-overclocked cpu and an ocerclocked cpu.

Back