• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH-5 at newegg?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

I have heard that the Hyper-X 3500 sticks that come at 2.5 volts default use BH-5 chips. In the pictures of these sticks at newegg it shows they use 2.5v. Therefore they are using BH-5 chips I think...

Does anyone know if this is true? Or have they since started to ship the CH-5 chips at 2.6v and just not updated the pic? If I cant get BH-5 at newegg, does anyone know of any other Hyper-X somewhere else that is using BH-5 *FOR SURE*?

Thanks!!

Just get the Corsair XMS3500 stuff from Newegg! Last I saw they still had 'em. These use cherry-picked Winbond BH-5 in their prime. The Mushkin and OCZ stuff are riding the reputation of BH-5 built up by the original Corsair and TwinMOS ram.

IMO, getting HyperX with BH-5 is a crapshoot.

Hmm I already have two corsair 3500 sticks....how can I check for BH-5?

Ask Corsair, all the XMS3500 sticks have BH-5. They have not used anything else.

The Buffalo PC3700 sticks with BH-5 are pretty cheap: $119 for 512 MB, but are out of stock. They seem to be somewhat inconsistent though. Remember there are 16 chips on a 512 MB stick, so if one of them can't keep up with the rest, it will drag them all down.

Actually NOLIFE, I looked at your sig. So you are using an AMD board and already have XMS3500. Quit while you are ahead, not many ram can do 206, 2-2-2-6 DC on that Asus board.

If you switch to an 8RDA+ or NF7-S, I know my XMS3500 are good for 220-228, 2-2-2-5 on unmodded boards. If I had more than the 2.85 VDIMM on the 8RDA+ and 2.96 actual on the NF7-S, I could go further.

Excellent. I have a Nf7-s board that needs some ram. Ill use my corsair. Can anyone point me to some instructions on a vdimm mod? I shouldnt run into heat issues should I?

Not too sure about the VDIMM mod but the limiting factor appears to be the NB voltage or VDD. I haven't had the board up for a while but I recall it is adjustable from 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8, although I didn't have much luck above 1.7. Most guys pencil in a resistor to increase it further. Check out the AMDMB.com forums for links.

Heat??? An AMD board??? Nah, never heard of it. :p

Yeah, there are heat problems from the CPU if you are running 2400+. Guys claim the NB gets real hot but not too sure about that. I was able to do 228, 2-2-2-5 with the stock NB sink/fan. Had to run a massive Vantec Tornado 80 mm fan (5800 rpm) on my Alpha to keep temps 'down' to around 51-55 C.

For the AMD boards, the XMS3500 or TwinMOS with BH-5 is the best ram there is so far. I do have a prime 512 MB stick of TwinMOS BH-5 but it can't keep up with the Corsair.

I found some kingston valueram at newegg that...if you look at the picture close it shows winbond and bh-5.
KINGSTON KVR400X64C25/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM RAM CL2.5
Specifications:
Type: DDR
Capacity:512MB
Speed: 400 MHz PC3200 Model#: KVR400X64C25/512 $95.00

Though, I am some what wary of just going by the pictures. I figured sombody may have ordered some of that recently and could tell what newegg.com really is shipping out.

I dont have to worry about heat from the CPU or NB Clevor....I watercool those things :D But thanks for the warning. Good advice for ppl on air. I was just concerned if uping my vdimm voltage would cause heat issues (I knwo it will eventually, but how far can more stuff go?).

ALL YOUR VMODDING NEEDS!!!

however, this is a great nf7-s/8rda+ modding page

For any XTREME question go to xtremesystems.org. Those are some of the most helpful and most brilliant people on the net. There is no question they can answer.

Some of them are just flat out crazy...marvel at the maddness!!!

btw...I am running @ 2.5+ with a 1700 on air @ no higher than 43c all day long. My nb is set to max stock...haven't gotten to modding this board yet, but it is incredibly easy. You can use a pencil for the vdd mod like someone has said (can see that in the 2nd link), and the vdim mod is on one of the chips that you don't need to solder or use grabbers for(look at Dirty_Punk's post about 1/4 the way down. Makes doing vmods to those kinds of chips take about 10 minutes, and need no experience)

hope this helped...good luck with your future oc'ing :D

Last edited:
The chips will say BH-5? or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks for the help guys.

i've been deleyed in ordering the parts in my sig. i've read that for gaming, low latency memory is better than raw bandwidth (pc4000 for example). but i've also heard that pc4000 like corsair xms pc4000 makes up for the low latency with its high speed. i play a lot of games and i want the best memory to go into dual channel and will work the best with the components below and will be best for gaming, it would be nice if the memory will help give a good overclock with the processor. so can anyone recomend some memory to use for this system under these conditions? should i get something with BH-5 chips and low latency like corsair xms pc3500 or stick with what memory i have in the sig?

The chips will say BH-5? or is there something else I should be looking for?

Are you really going to void your warrantee by removing the heat spreaders? I dunno, Corsair just says on their label removing the label voids the warrantee, not removing the spreaders :p. The chips should have a BH-5 on them somewhere, with 'Winbond' also.

Gustav, if you are running 250-275 fsb, the PC4000 are fine. I've found they also run all mem ratios OK, not so with BH-5. I don't know if it's worth spending $400-430 on 1 GB of the stuff though.

Also I would stick with Corsair XMS3500. I just tried some SanMax BH-5 I got in Japan, about $100 for a 512 MB stick. These are week 35 Winbond, I think in 2003 (I am checking now). On my killer 4PCA3+ they max out at DDR482, 2-2-2-5 at 3.2 volts, but they have a single #6 error which starts at DDR460 and won't go away with voltage. The sticks pass 3D on the Epox at DDR482, but fail the first sequence in 3DMark2003 on the IC7-MaxIII until I drop way down to DDR458 or so.

With my XMS3500, any #5 or #6 errors are immediately cleaned out with more volts. Remember, on twin 512 MB sticks there are 16 chips per stick, or 32 total. One bad one will drag 'em all down.

Also the XMS3500 will run at 5:4 on the MaxIII at up to 279 fsb. The SanMax won't run at all! They will do 288 at 3:2, 2-2-2-5.

NOLIFE, if you get the spreaders off your XMS3500, what date do you see? Should be something like 335WF or 235WF, etc.

Back