• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeware XWindows program w/ SSH? (for Windows)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSUmaxx

I'm looking for a freeware XWindows program that will allow me to use the SSH connection to my school's servers and run XWindows based programs, such as design architect, matlab, etc.

I have an SSH program, but all of the XWindows programs I can find only let you use them for an hour or so before they shut down, which obviously is a very bad thing for me.

Any suggestions?

David said:
Perhaps try VNC over SSH?

Hmm... I never thought to try that. Does my school network have to support that? I've never used VNC before, but I'll check it out, thanks :)

I'm not sure exactly how you do it, but you basically tunnel the VNC data through a secure SSL connection. There are bound to be loads of FAQs about.

Thanks for the link Kendan, that helps a lot.

On that page:
And enter Source port, final destination IP and port you have listening on VNC server on remote end.

Is there a way I can find this info? Usually I connect via SSH using blah.blah.orst.edu and I'm in. I don't have any sort of IP to work with.

Unless your school has the VNC server running on their linux/unix box, you're not going to be able to get that to work. You could try running VNC without SSH to the domain address, and if it has a server running, it should respond with you needing to give it the password. The connection won't be

As for PuTTY, tou could try typing in 127.0.0.1 and hope that the server is the first computer the SSH tunnel hits...
JigPu

No, you set your vnc port to forward in the ssh client... its usually 5900 - 5950. I ssh to my company's domain and then my ssh client (teraterm pro) is set to forward 5951 on remote machine to 5900 on my local machine. Then I can connect to my vncserver via hostname:display.

try cygwin, it's basically unix for windows. it will run an xserver like you want.

Sending X, be it through unprotected VNC or tunneled through an SSH connection, will still be really slow, so any applications you intend to use ought to be able to be used very slowly. Like a web browser or something will work fine, but I wouldn't think video editing would work over VNC, certainly not gaming. I don't know what these programs do, but they might not run well over VNC. Just something to keep in mind.

Of course, I have the reverse problem. I need to run an SSH server on my WinXP box in Cincinnati, and tunnel VNC through it to my OSX PowerBook in Boston . . . It's very confusing. I think I know what I need to do, and I've done a lot of research, but I'm not exactly sure HOW to do it. I asked in another thread, but it seems quite dead. It survived my post and a bump a day later with no new posts . . .

I need DynDNS because I have a dynamic IP address assigned by my ISP (is this a security problem [using DynDNS]?). I need Cygwin so I can run the SSH server. I need to tunnel a windows VNC session through the SSH server. I need to log on to that server using an SSH and VNC client on my Mac. I've found where to get Cygwin and how to set up SSH on it, and I know where to get a VNC client for Windows (and for my Mac), but I don't know how to port a Windows VNC session through the (basically) Linux SSH server . . . Is this possible? Is it any different that using a Linux box? What I really need are the commands to enter and configuration information, as well as what I would enter from the Boston side . . . I will turn on TCPwrapping and port forwarding or something on my Firewall so that only my IP address will be forwarded to the SSH server, and I feel pretty confident, as apparently my college has "disabled" IP spoofing . . . Any help would be appreciated. I might have to post in the Linux section, too, but this is mostly windows related.

Thanks

Z

zachj said:
Sending X, be it through unprotected VNC or tunneled through an SSH connection, will still be really slow, so any applications you intend to use ought to be able to be used very slowly. Like a web browser or something will work fine, but I wouldn't think video editing would work over VNC, certainly not gaming. I don't know what these programs do, but they might not run well over VNC. Just something to keep in mind.

Of course, I have the reverse problem. I need to run an SSH server on my WinXP box in Cincinnati, and tunnel VNC through it to my OSX PowerBook in Boston . . . It's very confusing. I think I know what I need to do, and I've done a lot of research, but I'm not exactly sure HOW to do it. I asked in another thread, but it seems quite dead. It survived my post and a bump a day later with no new posts . . .

I need DynDNS because I have a dynamic IP address assigned by my ISP (is this a security problem [using DynDNS]?). I need Cygwin so I can run the SSH server. I need to tunnel a windows VNC session through the SSH server. I need to log on to that server using an SSH and VNC client on my Mac. I've found where to get Cygwin and how to set up SSH on it, and I know where to get a VNC client for Windows (and for my Mac), but I don't know how to port a Windows VNC session through the (basically) Linux SSH server . . . Is this possible? Is it any different that using a Linux box? What I really need are the commands to enter and configuration information, as well as what I would enter from the Boston side . . . I will turn on TCPwrapping and port forwarding or something on my Firewall so that only my IP address will be forwarded to the SSH server, and I feel pretty confident, as apparently my college has "disabled" IP spoofing . . . Any help would be appreciated. I might have to post in the Linux section, too, but this is mostly windows related.

Thanks

Z

You are making it a lot more complicated than it is. You just need to set up the SSH tunnel then you use your VNC viewer to look at a local port. The SSH tunnel takes the remote VNC ports and tunnels them to the local port. Yes I said them:D Once the tunnel is created you can VNC from your local rig to any vncserver running on that remote network. If you need a better explanation Just PM me and I will walk you thru it.

Back