• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SL6Z3 now at ZIPZOOMFLY!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guess the cat's out of the bag now. I had heard through the "grapevine" on Tuesday that zipzoomfly was rumored to have the M0 stepping 2.4C in stock. A guy at extreme systems forum posted this...

I just got a reply email from googlegear saying they won't guarentee a particular stepping but the Z3 is what they have in inventory right now

I took a chance and ordered one. My UPS tracking says it got to Kansas City tonight. I'm hoping it will be delivered tomorrow. Sure hope mine's a SL6Z3 too.

I have a IC7 with cooling mods done to both northbridge and southbridge chips. It's mounted in a new Swiftech Q-Power water cooled case just waiting for the new CPU. I have 3 types of RAM to try. Yippee!

Last edited:
They've had em for awhile

Thats where I got mine from, back in October. It's a Costa Rica with a pack date of 9/15/03. FPO/Batch:3328A517.

I honestly don't see any difference with these new 2.4's .. mine goes all the way to 290 fsb with default vcore, then insists on "no sir! can't do more" with whatever you give it .. The only thing I see is, If you're looking for OC up to 290fsb with no headech, grab one :) ..

batboy said:
Guess the cat's out of the bag now. I had heard through the "grapevine" on Tuesday that zipzoomfly was rumored to have the M0 stepping 2.4C in stock. A guy at extreme systems forum posted this...

I just got a reply email from googlegear saying they won't guarentee a particular stepping but the Z3 is what they have in inventory right now

I took a chance and ordered one. My UPS tracking says it got to Kansas City tonight. I'm hoping it will be delivered tomorrow. Sure hope mine's a SL6Z3 too.

I have a IC7 with cooling mods done to both northbridge and southbridge chips. It's mounted in a new Swiftech Q-Power water cooled case just waiting for the new CPU. I have 3 types of RAM to try. Yippee!

whats wrong with your 2.8C at 3.5?:)

I want super high FSB... and to try something new.

Yep, I got it today and it's a M0 stepping.

SL6Z3.jpg

Do you happen to know if they have the SL6Z3 2.8c's? As much as I'd like to get a 2.4 my Corsair PC3200LL is only good to ~225mhz and running 5:4 at 290fsb is going to be too much for my mem.

No such thing as SL6Z3 in the 2.8C flavor... think the new M0 stepping for the 2.8C is S-Spec SL6Z5... or something like that. No, don't know of any sources for that yet.

Boy , Iam awful tempted to try and get a 2.4C M0 just to see what it can do . Just wondering how smart a move it is considering my 2.6C is decent .
( and it was purchased back in Jan/Feb almost the day they were released).

I need a new toy (challenge) after so long . Maybe I'll wait for a 2.8C M0 . HHHmmmm :eh?:

Dying to see your results Batboy (and good luck ) !

;) :D

batboy said:
I want super high FSB... and to try something new.

Yep, I got it today and it's a M0 stepping.

SL6Z3.jpg

nice batboy....:clap:

now show us what it can do.

as always, good luck my friend.

mica

Probably not much, as I stated before, I had this chip for over a week now and I don't see anything "IMPRESSIVE" so far, my older malaysian SL6WF did much better with 1.65v, this chip can't go over 290fsb with IMAX3 & Mach II .. unless I'm doing something wrong :D

Well boys, I'm still working on setting up my water cooling system, but I got impatient and worried it might not do at least 3.5 gig like my 2.8C, so I slapped this new 2.4C M0 stepping CPU temporarily into my old backup rig. Remember, my first IC7 that seemed to hit a brick wall at 275 FSB using the OCZ PC3500 RAM? Well, I hit that same brick wall at 275 FSB. I about cried.

At first, I hoped maybe it was the old mobo that was the bottleneck and figured my new IC7 with all the cooling mods and with it being water cooled would be much better. I also had ordered a pair of Kingston PC3000 RAM (at the same time as this SL6Z3 CPU). The rumor was that these Kingston PC3000 sticks had BH-5 chips. Decided that I might as well test the new RAM out while I had the new CPU still installed.

To make a long story short, I did a lot of testing and benchmarking with this new RAM and it's amazing stuff. Does better than my old OCZ PC3500 EL RAM. Was able to run DDR454 using 2,3,2,5 timings. Suddenly it dawned on me... OMG... DDR454 using the 5:4 ratio... dang... that's 283 FSB (3.4 gig). No more brick wall... holy guano! It was the RAM causing the "275 FSB brick wall" problem the whole time.

Well, I took one shot at 3.5 gig and was able to boot into Windows using 1.6v, but it wasn't stable and soon crashed. But, I was still using the 5:4 ratio with that PC3000 (although I had relaxed the timings). So, I'm assuming it's the RAM being the bottle neck now. I shut things down for the night, but I'm happy to see it boot at 3.5 gig on air. I'm pretty sure this will easily reach my goal of 3.6 gig using water cooling once I play around with the right combo of RAM and ratios and voltages. I have all weekend to tinker and tweak.

Last edited:
batboy, glad to see that things are looking up for that new 2.4c...

reaching maybe 300fsb and 3:2 ratio with the new kingston sticks, you'll be able to reuse fast timmings....
but what about your new PC4000???

300fsb is 240 mem speed....your pc4000 should be able to run that easy, and maybe at somewhat fast timmings.
(2.5,3,3,7 maybe?)

let us know what happens.

and good luck

mica

I'm waiting on the AS epoxy to dry on my vid card RAM sinks before putting the GPU water block on it. So, I had to try playing a little more with my new M0 stepping toy since it was still sitting there in my backup rig.

System: Abit IC7, 2.4C SL6Z3, 2 sticks of 256 MB Kingston HyperX PC3000, Swiftech heatsink/Delta fan, Chieftec mid-tower case, Antec 400 watt PS, 3 extra case fans.

Stable settings: PCI/AGP=fix; GAT=auto, auto, auto, disable, disable; RAM timings=2,3,2,5; ratio=3:2; FSB=295 MHz; vcore=1.6v; vmem=2.7v, hyperthreading=enabled; etc.

M0-cpuz-cpu.bmp

I hit another brick wall at anything above 295 FSB. Raising vcore does nothing. RAM speed using the 3:2 ratio is only DDR393 and I've already had this RAM up to DDR454 with the 5:4 ratio. I'll try the Corsair PC4000 Pro RAM next and maybe even the OCZ PC3500 EL too.

Maybe the northbridge needs better cooling or perhaps this old mobo is maxed out (was one of the first IC7 boards available last spring). I really feel like there is more life left in this CPU.

So close to my goal of 300 FSB I can almost taste it. Maybe once it's in the new modded IC7 and water cooled it'll go. Oh yeah, temps... this baby is about 1 to 2 degrees cooler load temp at 3.55 gig than the old 2.4C was at 3.3 gig in the same exact case and using the same exact CPU heatsink.

Last edited:
Back