• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200vs266 FSB 1 Gig Athlon: which is better to hit 1500?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaosdriven

Hi all.

Perhaps this issue has been addressed in previous posts, but I was unable to find it.

Would it be correct for me to presume that the 266FSB Athlons are a later stepping and are more likely to hit 1500?

The OC database generally does not distinguish between 200 and 266 FSB chips.
Stepping codes to look for would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Just got one of these chips myself. I dont think the FSB rating matters - either chip can be run at either FSB once unlocked. The code is what will matter.

Mine is an AXIA with a Y as the first letter of the second line.

Generally you want to get a chip with a Y as the second letter of the first line. Whether it's an AVIA, AXIA or AXIAR. (those are the other stepping codes to look for).

So far mine has hit 1150 with no voltage increase or noticeable temp increase. I'm looking to push it further, but I'm going to need better cooling before I do.

SickBoy

i dosn't matter, once unlocked they are the same, what does matter it the week it was made and the code

As has been said as long as the stepping is right FSB rating doesnt matter, you have a better chance of finding your AXIA etc with a 266 FSB chip though, 1500 is a bit lofty air cooled for these chips, my AXIA Y topped out at 1470 with a FOP38
-Mike

The 200mhz FSB chips will get you a higher multiplyer. You probaly won't need that high one until you hit 1.6ghz+ anyway. Buy my AVIA-Y hit 1.5 pretty easy and will do 1.63 but runs too hot. The 200mhz FSB also runs hotter from what I can see cause they have higher v-cores. To sun it all up I think the 200mhz FSB chips are easier to O/C but with higher temps, you make the decision. Good Luck

Most Deaf, I see that you say the week matters.I have 2 AXIA Y 1.2t-birds but the core chips are different.They are not that far apart in weeks made though.What are the better weeks if there is such thing?

Bubba (Jul 24, 2001 07:56 p.m.):
Most Deaf, I see that you say the week matters.I have 2 AXIA Y 1.2t-birds but the core chips are different.They are not that far apart in weeks made though.What are the better weeks if there is such thing?

I have seen that week 9, 2001 are great chips, they are from Dresden, Germany. The code is 0109. I have not seen these chips do less than a 40% O/C!!

Hey i am also in the market for a 1Ghz cpu i got A7V rev1.01 so i know i cant do 266bus would it be better for me to get the 266 one and crank up the multiplier... will it run cooler and at a lower voltage then the 200bus version....both are $139CDN oem version.

plz give me your ideas of what is a better cpu to get

GuNRocK (Jul 24, 2001 08:04 p.m.):
Hey i am also in the market for a 1Ghz cpu i got A7V rev1.01 so i know i cant do 266bus would it be better for me to get the 266 one and crank up the multiplier... will it run cooler and at a lower voltage then the 200bus version....both are $139CDN oem version.

plz give me your ideas of what is a better cpu to get

I have never seen a 266 chip on a 200 board. Are you sure your M/B only supports 200? Mine has a jumper to choose between the 2. I would suspect that the chip would work, but at only 200mhz FSB. I do think the 266 chips run at a lower v-core and lower temps.

Bubba (Jul 24, 2001 08:13 p.m.):
Is week nine really the only one that is known to be a better overclocker?

No, I have seen other weeks do well, but the most I have seen do good are week 9's. these chips are gonna be hard to find cause they are old in computer years. I would look at the CPU speed database to see what othere people are getting with newer chips. There is one on about every O/C website. I would try this one first on this site.

trancebear > i got Asus A7V rev 1.01 the bus goes from 90mhz~145mhz with my current 700duron i have only been able to get 107Mhz FSB outa it...i have heard befour rev 1.05 a7v only gets 107~110mhz... my board is realy old just over 1 year now... 1ghz 266(7.5x) 1ghz 200(10x) will the 266 run at 10x with no problems maby higher? since i got old board which i might replace soon with Asus A7A266 is this a good o/c board?

GuNRocK (Jul 24, 2001 08:26 p.m.):
trancebear > i got Asus A7V rev 1.01 the bus goes from 90mhz~145mhz with my current 700duron i have only been able to get 107Mhz FSB outa it...i have heard befour rev 1.05 a7v only gets 107~110mhz... my board is realy old just over 1 year now... 1ghz 266(7.5x) 1ghz 200(10x) will the 266 run at 10x with no problems maby higher? since i got old board which i might replace soon with Asus A7A266 is this a good o/c board?

I have no experiance with that board, sorry dood. Asus is a great brand for O/Cin so I would beleive that even their older ones are good. I would do a google search for info about it or search these forums under AMD motherboards.

I have never updated my bios... in the bios i see 90 95 100 103 ect all the way up to 145 but i select anything higher then 107 and i get the cpu error noise from the pc speaker.... u know that realy anoying one hehe. i think my PSU might have something to do with me not getting 10x multi i can only get 9.5 even at 1.85v duron700 is 1.5v i only have to get it up to 1.6 or1.65 when i reach 900mhz becuase it needs more but then 950 works at 1.65 and 10 wont go even with extra 0.2v i got 250PSU some no name one probly

GuNRocK (Jul 24, 2001 08:47 p.m.):
I have never updated my bios... in the bios i see 90 95 100 103 ect all the way up to 145 but i select anything higher then 107 and i get the cpu error noise from the pc speaker.... u know that realy anoying one hehe. i think my PSU might have something to do with me not getting 10x multi i can only get 9.5 even at 1.85v duron700 is 1.5v i only have to get it up to 1.6 or1.65 when i reach 900mhz becuase it needs more but then 950 works at 1.65 and 10 wont go even with extra 0.2v i got 250PSU some no name one probly

what chipset are you using on that board, if it is a KT-133 you are at your max, if it is a KT-133A you should get 140+ out of it.

mine is revision 1.01 Release June 2000 i bought mid july 2000 so i am guessing that the KT133A wasnt even out yet..so i am guess i am screwd till i get new board ...but for now will a 266 1ghz preform just as good as a 200 after i unlock it and put up the multi till i get a few paychecks to have enough spare money to buy a new board which are mostly over 200$

GuNRocK (Jul 24, 2001 09:00 p.m.):
mine is revision 1.01 Release June 2000 i bought mid july 2000 so i am guessing that the KT133A wasnt even out yet..so i am guess i am screwd till i get new board ...but for now will a 266 1ghz preform just as good as a 200 after i unlock it and put up the multi till i get a few paychecks to have enough spare money to buy a new board which are mostly over 200$

$200?If you want DDR, the best ones out there are $150 max. non-DDR's are about $100. Are you Canadian? These are US dollars. I would say yes it would work on your board, but that is not a 100% positive answer, maybe someone who has done this can say 100% yes.

yes i am Canadian

i have been looking into asus a7a266 its i think 209$ here but it has 3SDram slots and 2DDram so i could use my pc133 for now till ddr drops a bit more right now its not worth it its 5-10% beter then sd and like 40-50% more $....

Thanks to this great fourm which i joined 2 days ago i learnd soo much about o/c i dident know...so some time this week when i go to get my cpu OEM i hopefully be allowd to browse thru the 1ghz and pick out a good code and week so i can get some awsome o/cing outa my computer which i am slowly going to build :)

GuNRocK (Jul 24, 2001 09:12 p.m.):
yes i am Canadian

i have been looking into asus a7a266 its i think 209$ here but it has 3SDram slots and 2DDram so i could use my pc133 for now till ddr drops a bit more right now its not worth it its 5-10% beter then sd and like 40-50% more $....

Thanks to this great fourm which i joined 2 days ago i learnd soo much about o/c i dident know...so some time this week when i go to get my cpu OEM i hopefully be allowd to browse thru the 1ghz and pick out a good code and week so i can get some awsome o/cing outa my computer which i am slowly going to build :)

Good luck man, Make then show thern to you or say you will go elsewhere. It would be in thier best interest to do so.

Back