• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This or that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. $T$

Ok debating with my self but what would be better?

1) Two 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 with a back up 60GB (already have)

2 x $110 = ~$220

or....

2) Dual channel 2x512MB PC 3500 or 3700

$240-$260

Currently I RMA'ed a HyperX stick that would not run at the right Timings so now I have a streched stick of Cas2 Corsair 2700 that seems to do fine a 3500 speeds on cas 2.5 and almost 3GB/sec mem bandwidth. And I have a 60GB 7200 RPM Maxtor that has a 2MB buffer -_-

Price makes no difference becuase it is about $30, so which would be faster/better upgrade. :)

Well, how full is your hard drive?

If you have quite a bit of HDD space and/or don't fill it up quick, go for the ram :)
Although i reckon, given the speed people fill or their hard drives these days, you could do with the extra space and speed....

How many MB is your current stick?

Good question

I'd like to see what people say to this thread cause I've tried everything but RAID. I read everything about RAID and it seems to be a big improvement. I've never really seen performance difference by getting more RAM, I went from 512MB to 768MB to 1gig, and never saw a big change.

If you don't mind the high pitched noise the current rptors put out, I'd get those. However, if oyu are like me and can't stand the sound of computers, I might get the ram now and get a new raptor with the new fluid dynamic bearings in the future. but you might not be able to notice much of a change with the new ram. You would definetely notice a difference with the raptors. Sorry about the spelling... I've had one too many...

well I have half used of my current HDD and I was not going for space as much a speed, If you don't know RAID 0 takes two drives and splits info between them making it so therotically data transfer will be twice as fast as one single drive. And the new raptors are expensive like high $200 and low $300 range and few vendors have them. But as most new products are they will come down in price, so they are not out of the game. Also what is the word on the flow of RAM prices? Up down?

What's your budget?
Raptors seem a little high ATM, so the ram may be a more viable option...dunno... If you need the extra speed, the raptors would be good, but like MRip said, the sound might be a put-off. Personally i have 12 fans in my case in total (inc graphics, HSF, etc) and it wouldn't bother me but for someone with a dead silent system..

How big is your current ram stick? I'm quite partial to high ram, so i'm probably biased towards that... also, how quick do you tend to fill your HDD? I'd say size is a big issue from that angle...

It is a 512 so I would be going from single 512MB 2.5-3-3-7 to dual 512MB 2-?-?-? and it will be on a abit i865 IS7 with a 2.6c.

and I also would like to keep it around $225 give or take a few.

I would say the hard drives.. I'm quite partial to ram, but i've heard that unless you run lots of games or high-end video and graphics editing, you won't see the difference in 512/1gb. Also to notice the difference, you have to make some edit to one of the ini files....

I know it's dual chan but even so... With your current storage space/speed, i would have to say get the hard drive :)

You could always get the raptors now, and get 1 stick of the ram later, and then save for the second... you can also sell your surrent ram to help get the cash for the other strick :)

Ya the HDD's would make top on the list execpt my rig is quiet now and now that I hear that the 36 Raptors are a bit loud makes me think twice..... also I will probally wait till the newer raptors because they are much more then just twice the storage, such as newer firmware and Fluid barrings as well as ~70Mbps transfer rate compaired to the old ones of 57Mbps.

Ya the HDD's would make top on the list execpt my rig is quiet now and now that I hear that the 36 Raptors are a bit loud makes me think twice.....

I've got Raptors in a Raid 0 array in my LianLi box, and even with the side cover off, i've never heard any kind of whine, not even with the case/HSF fans turned low.
Before you rule out Raptors maybe head over to Storage and ask some questions. I don't recall that being loud is common to all or even most of these HDD's, i'm inclined to think it's the exception to the rule.
my $0.02
Good Luck
elec.tron;)

Back