• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping the Zalman NB cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omaticrail

I've heard people mention that the NB isn't always flat (usually convex), and when I discovered that my new Zalman NB heatsink is concave, I began to wonder if the latter was by design. Doesn't seem likely, but *shrug* Is this a case of 2 wrongs make a right?

It's allways good to lapp a heatsink untill the paint is gone, even if it's flat. I was just gonna lap my MSI KT3-V Stock NB Heatsink untill the orange paint was gone but I discoverd that it was concave, and REALLY concave!!!

Are these the stock "aluminum" NB HSs that yall refer to.
When ever I thouch the NB HS its not even hardly warm.
It came stock with its own little 3 color led fan.One of these days I'll dismount it and clean it up,and check it.Naturally I'll use
some AS for the TIM.Do they even make a copper HS for a NB?
Except for water cooling.Keep your flow up and temps down,
THE FANMAN:cool:

I lapped it anyway, and it was in horrible shape.

As for the warmth, it wouldn't surprise me if your HS never got warm, if it was anything like mine. The stock NB HSF didn't sit right, and had zero TIM on it. Lotta damn good that thing was doing, eh?

archilochus said:
Are these the stock "aluminum" NB HSs that yall refer to.
When ever I thouch the NB HS its not even hardly warm.
It came stock with its own little 3 color led fan.One of these days I'll dismount it and clean it up,and check it.Naturally I'll use
some AS for the TIM.Do they even make a copper HS for a NB?
Except for water cooling.Keep your flow up and temps down,
THE FANMAN:cool:

Zalman and I think thermalTake(yourmoney) does too.

Back