• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random lockups on NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BowerR64

I was running windows ME for a few days because the game controler driver is only for windows 9X i was having random lockups and i thought it was windows ME

I just installed a fresh install of wondows XP and im still getting these random lockups. Its not even overclocked i set it back to default when i started having problems. Does the southbridge need more voltage or somthing to get stable?

NF7-S
1800+ SLK900
Geil PC3200 512 meg
GF4 MX440 8X
2 Hitachi 40 gig drives in raid 0
WinFX100 capture card
DVD rom
24X liteon burner

The board is only about 2 weeks old, but the random lockups i cant do anything once it locks up. I can only reboot the system then it runs a while and locks again. It seems like heat related. But im not sure what it could be. The bios says the CPU is only runnign at 39C

I think i figured it out, seems the pads on the 1800+ arnt in the right spots for the SLK900 and the sink was sitting on the chip crooked. I guess it wasnt making good contact witht eh sink and was locking up after a few minutes.

I was starting to worry i was gona have to RMA this thing i ddint wana wait for shipping.

See if you can pass a few rounds of memtest. This will determine whether or not your ram has anything to do with it. If that doesnt work, try lowering your memory timings to the lowest possible. Also Give us some more information IE.

Mem Timings=?
Multiplier& FSB=?
CPU Interface=?
Vcore=?
Vdimm=?
Vchip=?
Bios version=?
Board revision=?

Also did you "upgrade" from WinME to XP or did you actually format the drives and re-installed?

I say it is the PSU.....What is it? Are u using 300 or 400...bla bla bla....

clean format and install

board version 2

latest bios 19

all bios settings are at default till i can figure it out.

I put a GF2 GTS card in it and its been stable ever since. The card im having problems with is an 8X and i think there is a problem with the 8X card for some reason. The board says it supports 8X video cards but i started having the problems when i put the 8X in because the board supported 8X i thought ide try it.

I used a meter on the 5 volt line and ran 3D mark and it didnt drop at all 5.17-5.19 is all it really fluctuated. Put the GF4 back in it instantly locked up.

I set my AGP voltage up 2 clicks and its been working with the 8X card fine now.

Back