• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I kill it? (pic)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omaticrail

Long time stable system (not overclocked) will not even give a beep code after I did some work. I've unplugged every peripheral and adapter card, plus all the drives. Th

While changing out my dieing NB cooler fan, I nicked the mobo and may have broken a trace. Here's a photo of the NB mounting hole, and the nick I made:
deadtrace.jpg

Photo looks slightly enlarged and jagged on this laptop for some odd reason. Looks normal in photo editor.

Well, that doesn't look good. The eaisest way to figure out if it is dead or not is to try it. It may also be possible to repair traces on the surface, though I haven't had any luck doing it.

As gnufish mentioned it don't look purty no more. :eek:

If you have a multimeter you could test the resistance across the break. It should be zero if the trace is intact. Otherwise you have cut through the trace and will need to junk it or repair it. :(

You could try using a trace repair kit or solder a very small wire across the gap to bridge the circuit. Though you'll need some steady hands.

Good luck.

Back