• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1000gph pump??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathmasher

I am thinking of using a quiet one 3000. It is rated at 1049GPH at 9 feet of head. and it is only about 4 inches square. What I am wondering is this over kill or will it improve my set up proformance. I have had one of the older style ones running on my reef tank for 5 years now with $5000 worth of coral in it. So I trust the pump to last I am just wondering if it is worth while trying to mod it to use 1/2" barbs?

what I am more interested in is maintaining a good flow for multiple water blocks. Ie CPU, GPU, Chipset HD ect

Right... it would help if you phrased your questions more specific then.

Anyway, an Eheim 1250 delivers about 264 GPH. Using more for even the hottest CPU is probably overkill (i.e. the extra power would not help to transfer heat better and the added pump heat could mean negative returns). Compare this to your scenario then... it still seems excessive to me.

i think you may be on to something splitting the flow between the three waterblocks. the problem comes where you're trying to get the heat out of the water. in theory, if you joined all the lines back together and used one of thoes huge radiators the size of 3 fans it should work out pretty well for you. i don't know if the cost is worth the benifit though.

Very nice chart Fizz :) (other thread)

I have been wondering that myself since I know in the auto world water traveling through the cooling system TOO quickly will actually cause overheating. If I read your chart right the optimal flow rate before the point of diminishing returns is around 3.75 lpm?

That pump is obviously rated more for circulation than pressure situations... 1000GPH and a max head of 9ft. It is likely that the pump would run very inefficiently on it's P/Q curve. For instance the Danner Mag 3 has a 10ft max head and is 350GPH at zero head, a better choice in terms of specs for a computer.

honestly my background is in aquariums and I would not trust a magdrive pump to run my goldfish bowl. Why would you say that a pump that can push 1049gph at 9 feet of head would not out proform a mag drive? The max head on the pump is 15'

rocketmanx said:
Very nice chart Fizz :) (other thread)

I have been wondering that myself since I know in the auto world water traveling through the cooling system TOO quickly will actually cause overheating. If I read your chart right the optimal flow rate before the point of diminishing returns is around 3.75 lpm?

I gave the source of the chart too; it's from Bill A's ThermoChill radiator test. You could look up his article on the front page, it's very informative.

The LPM number you quote cannot be taken as a solid guideline, because the exact number will also depend on your particular system. Bill A's review covers a few setups that are fairly representative though.

Deathmasher said:
honestly my background is in aquariums and I would not trust a magdrive pump to run my goldfish bowl. Why would you say that a pump that can push 1049gph at 9 feet of head would not out proform a mag drive? The max head on the pump is 15'
Ahh, I misunderstood your first post... I thought it was a MAX head of 9ft, but now if I understand correctly it will push 1049GPH at 9ft of head, right? Do you know the wattage of the pump? Many have good success with the Danner Mag 3's, great specs for our needs.

here is the set up that I am thinking about

I am going to custom make a res out of plexi that has four half inch inputs and one 3/4 inch out put run the 3/4" hose from the res to the pump. Then run 3/4 inch to the Rad that use a custom made splitter from the rad to the water blocks so that each block has its own feed. There would be the CPU, GPU, chipset and 2 HD blocks.

Deathmasher said:
here is the set up that I am thinking about

I am going to custom make a res out of plexi that has four half inch inputs and one 3/4 inch out put run the 3/4" hose from the res to the pump. Then run 3/4 inch to the Rad that use a custom made splitter from the rad to the water blocks so that each block has its own feed. There would be the CPU, GPU, chipset and 2 HD blocks.

Don't you think that's a bit overkill with each block receiving its own feed? I mean, the concept is great since the heat from one block won't be able to transfer to another block. The pump is too much man. Increasing the flow rate allows little time for the water to cool down the blocks. But maybe having your strong pump will be great since you're planning to cool everything in the comp.

Are you going to a completely silence here? Is that why you're planning on cooling the hard drives too? If you're not planning for a completely silence system, then just have a splitter for cpu and gpu, and get some hard drive coolers http://www.svc.com/80hardiscool.html, and nb coolers. You'll be able to put all the WC power for most important components. I'm thinking whether or not the having that much splitters will affect the flow rate.

Good luck man and keep us posted.

Sneakytermite said:
... The pump is too much man. Increasing the flow rate allows little time for the water to cool down the blocks. But maybe having your strong pump will be great since you're planning to cool everything in the comp. ...
I'm thinking whether or not the having that much splitters will affect the flow rate. ...
Let's all say this together now: increased flow through a water-block will always increase its cooling potential! What you have posted is a myth (one I hadn't seen in a while either... shame on you for bringing it back).

And yes, those splitters will of course hinder the flow rate, just as any fitting in the loop will.

Yeah but if you think about it each block would still get more flow then if I was using a Ehiem 1250 to run them daisy chained together. Does anyone make a block for cooling your system ram?

Back