• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with 1700+ Palamino

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaguerant

Registered
I hope you guys can help me out...I know AMD tech support and the AMD forums have been useless. I originally bought an Athlon 750 along with an Epox 8KTA3 (a KT133A chipset) mobo hoping I could run the chip at 133fsb instead of 100 fsb. Never could get the chip up past 120 fsb or so...Had PC133 CAS 2 RAM. I eventually upgraded to a Palamino 1700+

AX1700DMT3C
AGNGA0152TPAW

But still the same problem, no go past 120FSB, but only completely stable up to about 115. I figured it was a limitation of the mobo.

Time passed, and the ol' Epox eventually died, so I recently got an FIC AU13, along with some "Centon" PC3500 memory. Had the same problem. Won't go past 120FSB. I took the memory back and got some Kingston ValueRam. Still the same problem. No go past 120FSB. I took the mobo back and ordered an Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0, and yeah, you guessed, same problem.

I've ordered a new Barton 2600+, but I'd still like to figure out the problem with this chip if possible. It does seem to run hot with stock cooling, 49-52 idle, and 59+ under load. I know the memory is good up to 400 even though it's only PC2700, I've run it ansynchronously just to check it out. I've tried two different power supplies, the 350W that came with the case, and a new 500W a friend gave me. Seems like I'm having to try and overclock the chip to get it up to stock speed...and haven't been able to do it. The CPU was a retail box, and I've had it less than two years, but don't have the proof of purchase any more, otherwise I'd have RMA'd the thing. Anybody got any ideas?

Either your not increasing the voltage of your cpu. Or your hitting PCI divider problems. Try lowering the multi of the cpu and put it on 124/31 or 133/33, or increase the multiplier of the cpu and put it at 120FSB or whatever was stable.

I have an NForce2 mobo, so it's not a divider problem. I shouldn't have to raise the voltage to get the rated speed of the chip, but I have tried it, and it doesn't work. I haven't unlocked the cpu, so I can't adjust the multiplier. I'd just like to get it to run at the 133FSB like it's supposed to

um did you try and do "load optimized defaults" in bios? simple question but if you are new to this stuff you may have overlooked it

yes, I tried "optimized" defaults. I'm not new to this stuff exactly. I've been using computers since the 386

Back