• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good memory for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

i posted this is "BH-5 at newegg?" but i thought it would get more feedback if i put it in a new thread.

i've been deleyed in ordering the parts in my sig. i've read that for gaming, low latency memory is better than raw bandwidth (pc4000 for example). but i've also heard that pc4000 like corsair xms pc4000 makes up for the low latency with its high speed. i play a lot of games and i want the best memory to go into dual channel and will work the best with the components below and will be best for gaming, it would be nice if the memory will help give a good overclock with the processor (not being the bottleneck of my cpu overclocking per se). so can anyone recomend some memory to use for this system under these conditions? should i get something with BH-5 chips and low latency like corsair xms pc3500 or stick with what memory i have in the sig?

The 14X Multiplier on your 2.8C is going to hurt you either way, unless you have some very good cooling planned. With air cooling it's going to be a bit hard to get it far over 250MHz (3.5GHz+) w/o very good cooling. You have it at stock now (according to your sig), but since you have the system already, how high will it run in-sync (1:1) with your PC4000?

If you get BH-5 memory, the multiplier factor will also hurt somewhat. As you would have to reach the same speeds (250+/3.5GHz+) to have your memory run DDR400+ async (5:4).

As long as CPU FSB in a 5:4 (w/ 2-2-2 timings) async operation remains about equal with the CPU:MEM FSB in a 1:1 (w/ 3-4-4 timings) in-sync system, then performance will be about equal, or maybe slightly favoring the tighter timing 5:4 system.

i dont have all the parts. i have the mobo, vid card and case. the rest i had to hold off on ordering for a while. this is why i wondered should i stick with the memory in my sig, or some other memory for gaming?

why will the 14x multiplier hurt me?

what other processor do you recommend?

i've read 1:1 CPU/FSB is best hands down. so how can 5:4 with tight timings be better than 1:1 with high speed and lax timings?

There is still alot of controversy over performance edges of 1:1 over 5:4 and vice versa. When trying to figure out which is "better", you first have to define the controversy.

Performance using the 5:4 ratio while maintaining an equal CPU FSB as you are running 1:1 with. Using timings of 2-2-2 (w/ tRAS set to what you please) on the 5:4 set-up, and using timings of 3-4-4 (w/ tRAS set to what you please).

Ex. 250:200 (2-2-2-6) compared to 250:250 (3-4-4-8). Or 300:240 (2-2-2-6) compared to 300:300 (3-4-4-8). Comparing 250:200 (2-2-2-6) with 300:300 (3-4-4-8) will, of course, bring you results favoring a high-latency (1:1) set-up, but this is an unfair match-up.

Performance under these conditions will be approximately equal, or slightly favoring the low-latency (5:4) set-up. If you are forced to increase the RAS-to-CAS timing of the low-latency (5:4) set-up, then you are, basically, retarding it's performance. Increasing the RAS-to-CAS timing from 2 to 3 is the most important single-step change you can make towards your memory, with regards to checking it's performance.

A simple benchmark review of this was recently shown by www.PCStats.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=873

The problem with a 14X Multiplier is that your kind-of stuck with what you want to do. Your FSB is limited to the 240-260 range, which is in the middle of no-man's land (to speak). It's too high to run 1:1 w/ low-latency while maximizing your processor on air-cooling. It's too low for a possible performance edge running high-latency memory (which is capable of DDR560+). And it's too low to run 5:4 low-latency memory, since your memory would be running at a low speed of DDR384-416). Running a 275-280MHz FSB w/ a 14X Multiplier requires very good-to-extreme cooling.

With a 12X, and to some extents a 13X, Multiplier you are more capable of running very high FSB. And this benefits both 1:1 (high-latency) and 5:4 (low-latency). 2.4C's, and 2.6C's to a lesser extent, are more capable of achieving 290MHz+ FSBs.

With a 15X/16X Multiplier, then you are in a situation much like that found with Socket A (AMD) processors. Your only option becomes the best possible option. Running 1:1 w/ low-latency memory. Of course, this option is not without it's faults. First, it's expansive, and, second, performance takes a slight hit running relatively-low FSB's with a high multiplier (though this is subset by the fact that your running 1:1 w/ low-latency memory).

Last edited:
wow that really helped Speed_Mechanic2!!! i'm thinking of getting a 2.6 now. 2.4 would be nice, but with its low mulitplier, even at 290 fsb, i would only get 3480 mhz. i dont know if that would be possible on a p4p800. if i get a 2.6, and can get it up to 277fsb, thats 3601mhz. with the 2.8, i would be lucky to hit 250 i think. i have heard most people crap out at the 230-240 range when u get into the higher cpus, and like u say, this wouldnt help my cpu:fsb 1:1 ratio with my corsair pc4000. i wonder how high each of these: 2.4 M0, 2.6 D1 and 2.8 D1 would go on my board on average. i dont think a 2.4 will go higher than 290 (3480) the 2.6, based on others, i would say no more than 275(3575) and the 2.8 i dont think will go higher than 250 (3500). but this is just what i think. what do you think? i'm just looking/hoping for the highest overclock on i can get on my board on air, i dont care what cpu it is. i guess i just have to wing it and pick one eh?

Last edited:
Back