• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't ask for anything more.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

js341

Registered
When I bought this P4 2.4Ghz 800FSB CPU OEM, I had my doubts about what I read of low overclocking. But I don't seem to have a problem. Don't get me wrong, I had to boot three time to get 3.5Ghz and it isn't stable, but at 3.2Ghz I can run Prime 95 all day long. So I keep it around 3.4Ghz cause I haven't had any problems. Another thing that I haven't taken into consideration is the Gigabyte MoBo. Sweet piece of equipment. For the price I payed for a 2.4C and able to get 1.0Ghz out of it for free, I can't ask for anything more from Intel. (Except to unlock the Multi.)

:D

Very nice overclock! What are the temps? Is it prime95 stable at 3.4, or just stable enough to play games and stuff without crashing? Regardless, it is still pretty good.

what kind of RAM, speed, and timings?

and what heatsink/water system?

Yea let us know, right now I'm on a 1Ghz G4 iMac :( but hopefully soon I'll be getting a 3.2ghz P4, any guess how high I'll be able to push it? Abit mobo, Mushkin Ram, 9800 Xt, etc of course ;)

get a 2.4C or 2.6C or even a 2.8C

it will get better performance from the higher FSB..

you can't overclock a 3.2ghz too much at all, it'll just fry up and die..lol

and you can even get a 2.4C to 3.2ghz relatively easily, especially with your RAM and mobo, and it'll save money so you can spend more on cooling.

mateo88 said:
Very nice overclock! What are the temps? Is it prime95 stable at 3.4, or just stable enough to play games and stuff without crashing? Regardless, it is still pretty good.

If I leave the case off the Prime 95 temp get up to 45C. But If I leave the case on it gets as high as 54C. And I've tried prime95 at 3.4 and it fails, but I can still play games and use windows without a problem.

Foxie3a said:
and you can even get a 2.4C to 3.2ghz relatively easily, especially with your RAM and mobo, and it'll save money so you can spend more on cooling.

And now thats where I'm stuck at, is what cooling will really be that effective. My CPU is 26C when I first turn it on, and 33 at an idle. Would water cooling or any other type be effective enough to keep my temps under 30c. Those cooling systems cost so much for 5 degrees less.

I'm not sure about temps, but I know that the Thermal something, almost sounds like TT makes a good 50 dollar heatsink with a heatpipe on it..and put a nice 92mm fan on that..and you'll be good enough.

that's what I plan on doing, and using my water cooling for my video card and possibly my SCSI HDs..

ah yes, Thermalright, that is the company I was looking for :)

Macs probably could be overclocked, but I wouldn't want to, I know someone who has one and it gets so hot I swear I can smell the melting heatsinks..

go with Thermalright SKU-947 or whatever its called, and shove the highest CFM 92mm fan onit you can find, or even a 120mm fan with an adaptor..

good luck.

Back