• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD processor and motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jsmiley

I want to get a 1.33GHz processor but I'm not sure whether I need to get a socket A or slot A. The chipset is a mystery to me also. The motherboard I want is the Asus A7M266,A7A266 or the EpoX equivalent. I would also like DDRAM. Anybody got some suggestions?

socket a is what you want.

the chipset you should be looking at is the AMD761.
the Epox is a great mobo the 8k7a is king for now.

You really need to search for motherboard reviews yourself and make your own decision. The Epox 8K7A is a good board and I would buy it myself, but you need to make a list of things you want and dont want in your motherboard and then make a decision from there. For one thing there are other chipsets than the AMD 760/761. The VIA KT266 is about an equal from what I have read. Although I would stay away from the ALi Magik.

You can geet the shuttle ak31 for 91 dollars at sunset marketing. It is one of the best boards for overclocking. It is the kt266 chipset but it rocks. It is also jumperless except for the cmos. Here is a link to some reviews. http://www.hardwareseeker.com/products/Shuttle_ak31

take a look at all of the reviews. you will be impressed. If you want raid this isn't the way to go but I would say that it's not only the best value on the market but also one of the best. I wonder why overclockers.com hasn't done a review on it yet. I wouldn't rule out something like the epox, but if you want 30 bucks extra cash and a board that can run with the best of them, then take a good look at the shuttle ak31. It also has 4 mem slots.

Think about what you want in a motherboard and then start looking at reviews. There is a pack of mobos out there right now that are all really good. You just have to know what you want and go from there, but I'm telling you, if you want a great overclocker the shuttle is extremely good for the price.

Back