• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just went wireless...how secure is my router with 128bit encription?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I just hooked my rig up to a Microsoft MN-500 wireless router and I have used the 128 bit encription with a security number for my bandwidth. Is this going to be secure enough to keep others off my bandwidth? The only system frequncy that I can see in my neighborhood is my own. are there any programs out there that will enhance my router security?

128-bit WEP is more than enough for a home network. In order for someone to crack your WEP key they would have to sit outside and capture enough weak keys until they have enough to decipher the WEP key. That would probably take a few days at least, even if you were downloading tons and tons of stuff constantly.

If you live in a very dense housing area, like apartments or condos, then adding something like MAC filtering might be a good idea as well. But even then, if you just change your WEP key every now and then nobody will steal your bandwidth. The only reason people make a big deal with WEP being broken is that a lot of smaller, and some larger, businesses use wireless networks. A good chunk, I'd sayd 40~60%, either have no encryption or they just use WEP. In a business environment something like a RADIUS server is something that needs to be used.

Cool, thats good to know. I fell better now. Thanks for the info bro!!:)

BTW, I got 2 wireless (Xterasys) desktop pci cards and a wireless pcmca card for a total of $60 for all 3. Pretty good deal hunh?

Back