• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

When ever I set the fsb higher than 140 I run into problems with Windows.
What, if anything, can I do to get beyond this?
Is it that much better to have a higher fsb than 133?

I have got the same RAM and my timings are at 3-2-2, and i can run it at 142fsb with no problems. At 142x9.5 And check your core voltage you might need to bump it up one notch

JRbob (Jul 26, 2001 03:21 p.m.):
I have got the same RAM and my timings are at 3-2-2, and i can run it at 142fsb with no problems. At 142x9.5 And check your core voltage you might need to bump it up one notch

Well actually Windows runs pretty stable at 140, where it is now, but when I try to go to 145 or above it gets buggy.

I've run SiSoft Sandra Burn in and SETI with no lock-ups or crashes, the only problem I have is with looping 3dMark 2001.

Make sure to lower your multiplier too. That's what hinderd me from hitting 150 for the first time EVER today. I had to go from 11x146(1605) to 10.5x150(1575) but my system is actually faster then before. Try lowering your multiplier by 1 notch and then raise the FSB higher. I think that may be your problem.

the memory you have should go to about 150~160MHz cas2 without any problems...crucial is good memory...you can find out if your chipset is indeed the problem by running the memory and chipset asynchronous and raising both accordingly...

my 512MB of crucial runs fine asynchronous at 127/160MHz but won't run much past about 147MHz synchronous (and that's raising VIO to max)...
i'm going to try a blue orb chipset cooler and see if that has any effect...i think it should let me get another 5MHz fsb out of her...
...and to answer your question: yes, running at a higher memory/fsb will increase performance because it lowers overall system latency and increases bandwith.....wow, i feel tired after spouting all these technical whatnots--think i'll take a nap

Vector (Jul 28, 2001 07:29 a.m.):
the memory you have should go to about 150~160MHz cas2 without any problems...crucial is good memory...you can find out if your chipset is indeed the problem by running the memory and chipset asynchronous and raising both accordingly...

my 512MB of crucial runs fine asynchronous at 127/160MHz but won't run much past about 147MHz synchronous (and that's raising VIO to max)...
i'm going to try a blue orb chipset cooler and see if that has any effect...i think it should let me get another 5MHz fsb out of her...
...and to answer your question: yes, running at a higher memory/fsb will increase performance because it lowers overall system latency and increases bandwith.....wow, i feel tired after spouting all these technical whatnots--think i'll take a nap

What MOBO do you have?
I'm not too sure the bios for this board doesn't give the option on setting memory speed.

Back