• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Lock ups, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juiblex79

Registered
Some Background: I have tested out this system with prime and memtest and they all report no errors after hours of testing. The system is fine and I haven’t had any problems recently when gaming and doing other work. The system has only been up and running for about a week at the high over clock speeds you see in my sig but the system has been running stable for about 4 months prior.

The Problem: Yesterday I formatted my laptop and put on Win XP Pro on it. Its a Presario 1500T P4 2Ghz with 1GB ram. Everything installed fine and I updated the system will all the patches and updates as needed. Now I have a copy of my MP3 collections that is approximately 5GB on my main system. I selected my main systems mp3 directory from my laptop and copied and pasted the folder where I wanted it. So now the files are copying but after about a min of copying my main system locks up, no error message no bluescreen, just a complete freeze and I have to restart. I wish there was an error message because that would give me something to go on but there’s nothing and this is not the first time I have copied the entire directory. I have done it before with my old system when I first got my laptop and didn’t have any problems. The old system used the same network card switch and of course same laptop. The old system had a PCI Clock of 37.5Mhz so I don’t think that is the problem since the PCI speed is at 36Mhz right now. The network card I am using is a linksys 10/100 card and the switch is a linksys 10/100 router/ 5port switch; I forget what the laptop's card is but its some generic one.

Any help is greatly appreciated; thank you in advance for any help.

As far as i knoe Prime and mem basically stress your CPUs and mem but not HDs. How old is your HD?

So the problem can be HD or the mobo doest like the PCI clock.

Try to copy thos MP3s with the stable speed that you have had for 4 months. If that works then simply your mobo doesnt liket that high overclock.

It could be the IDE channel. But i'm not sure.
Some members here can address it better

MameXP

Yeah forgot to mention I bumped down the FSB to default 133/33.3 and set the mem timings to default(I still kepted the multi at 15x didnt want to go through the mess of removing and replacing the pin mod), still had the same problem. The hard disks are brand new they are Western Digital JB 80GB 7200RPM 8MB buffer. I am thinkning that it might have to do something with either the motherboard or the harddisks since thats the only difference from my old system. It's not that important everything else works and I usually don't transfer 5gigs over my lan, I just burned the mp3's to a DVD and xfered them that way, good thing is now I have a back up if my main system and laptop's hard disks fail at the same time, like that would ever happen =p.

Back