• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 425 ATX power supply noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kekkai

Do you guys think it's dangerous to change the fan on that power supply? It's running at 37cfm and is louder than my panaflo fans which are doing so well in cooling my system and keeping it quiet. I was thinking of putting a 27cfm panaflo in there.

Experts reply only please.

Doing any mod IN a PSU can be dangerous. They have lots of juice in them and keep their charge for quite a while. It is doable, but make sure you drain the caps in it first.

You shouldn't be in danger. Just don't go poking around in there. I have heard that if you lay a screwdriver across the (+) terminal and ground on the back of the PSU it helps drain the caps. Might not want to trust me on that though.

I just did a volt mod on my PSU last week, and Im still alive and typing. So a fan swap should be easy so long as you don't jab a screwdriver in there with out a care in the world.

Kekkai said:
Do you guys think it's dangerous to change the fan on that power supply? It's running at 37cfm and is louder than my panaflo fans which are doing so well in cooling my system and keeping it quiet. I was thinking of putting a 27cfm panaflo in there.

Experts reply only please.

I dunno if I'd call myself an expert, but I replaced the fan in a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 350 with a Panaflo M1A. I discharged the PSU by unplugging it first and holding down the power button, and then simply changed the fan. It took just a few minutes.

I've changed many fans in powersupplies without any problems. Most of the wires need to be cut and spliced but a few have plug at the end of the leads. I strip about 3/4 in. of wire on each wire so I get a good twist. I use heatshrink tubing to cover the splices.

i might do this with my 510w turbocool, is the m1a a good choice or will the L1 panaflow 80mm be ok as well?

BrianS said:
i might do this with my 510w turbocool, is the m1a a good choice or will the L1 panaflow 80mm be ok as well?

I have to think that the folks at PCP&C chose a high output fan for a reason. As such, I don't know how comfortable I'd be using the L1A in this application. That's primarily why I decided to go with the M1A for Turbo-Cool 350 in my server.

I've never used the 510, so I don't know how gauge the sound of its fan, and speculating based on specs isn't exactly my cup of tea as its silly at best. I can say, however, that the fan in the Turbo-Cool 350 was very loud, and replacing it with a M1A resulted in a drastic change in volume. Is it totally silent? Not by a mile! But, it's much more livable after the fan swap. HTH

I hear those 510's run a bit hot - might be wise to be sure the new fan is similar in airflow output.

thanks for your comments

i think it is loud but it could be some other fan, i am going to check that out this week. the airflow coming out of the back isnt very much & not very hot so maybe it doesnt need to spin fast to be effective.

hmm im thinking of changeing the fans in my psu, but im going the other way, i want more air moveing though it.
the fans are only going 1200 rpm

Back