• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo and XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I was wondering if there is any way to make a voodoo's full features work with XP. I can always make the voodoo it's own rig with 98 on it, but I realy would prefer xp. If there are no drivers that allow the full features of the voodoo, then I ask, WHY NOT!?!?

Weeeell, I was planning on getting the 5500 just because is a sweet card, and watercooling it, and adding led's and ect. Just because its a cool card. Imagine, even if its not in my pc, a video card mounted on the wall with dual waterblocks glowing blue as my night-light.

Also, thats realy sweet, as far as I knew there were no 3d XP drivers. Looks like im going to get it.

Also you know that then 3rd party drivers will just get better with time because of the voodoo diehards. I used to have a voodoo 5 in my rig but it started to show its age in new games. Now if only I could find a voodoo 5 6000...................

In case my deal doesnt come through, how would a pci voodoo5 5500 perform? I would be l33t to have a 9500 and a 5500 in the same system.

Yeah that 6000 will be 2 grand by the time that auction is over. There is only 50 6000 prototypes and only half of them work, but thanks for looking. LOL it's in a frame, I'd take it out and use that thing. It is capable of 16x aa.

Yuriman said:
In case my deal doesnt come through, how would a pci voodoo5 5500 perform? I would be l33t to have a 9500 and a 5500 in the same system.

I've actually tested an old GeForce2 MX PCI in an old Celeron 633 system that I used to have versus a buddy's V5/5500. The Voodoo5 was a bit faster, but not by a whole lot. To top that, by then, nVidia's driver suite was much better than the 3dfx one. So for a PCI Voodoo5, I'd expect about GeForce2MX-GeForce2 GTS level of performance. For some reason, these things have some sort of incredible precendent set for them that they just don't measure up to... it was good for a PCI card back a couple years ago, but against the competing cards (early Radeon and GTS,) it couldn't hold a candle.

I want one for the fact that its a cool card. It looks cool, and 3dfx was cool. I dont need performance.

what in the world is so cool about that thing? I would say that a 3d card whose owner/maker/manufacturer went out of business is waaaaaaaaaaaayyy far from cool. and what the heck is so cool about somehting that performs like a geforce2. that is ridiculous :rolleyes:

Well, they did have fantastic 2d image quality and color separation. The components onboard were of good quality - you could hardly detract that from them.

So what is cool about insisting that someone else's opinion on something is wrong? It is sort of a neat card - 2 chips and all. Not fast, but still neat.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to raise some hell about someone's opinion, it just amazed me and I wanted to knwo why...

Great 2D image? well i guess that is good for everything but games, right? better than today's cards?

I never knew ehy they went out of business tho... anyonce care to elaborate? I was a voodoo owner myself back in the day (4meg voodoo1 :D ), then after a while they just died. alwas wondered why.

3DFx back in the day was "the" 3D card to have. I had a Canopus Voodoo 1 :D I think it was back in the early 90's. 3Dfx decided it would be a good philosphy to stop selling there chips to 3rd party card manufcturers. And start making the cards in-house. Sort of like what ATi has done. The major difference is ATi still sells thier chips to other card manufacurters, 3Dfx didn't. 3Dfx's heads got so big they thought they could pull this off and not upset anyone in the process(Sound sort of familier. Rambus anyone?). Then 3Dfx had the bright idea to not go with a single high speed GPU(like Nvidia and Ati) but multiply ones at lower speeds combinded to make a larger one. Great concept but inhearently more expansive. Also along with thier bullheaded can do no wrong attitude. Thier cards started to slack off behind Nvidia's. So when that happened they started to lose a huge amount of money. Why, becasue they could only make money selling video cards since they stopped selling chips to other card manufactuers. In the end Nvidia gobbled some of the company up and stuffed the tech they had away like the Gov. does with black ops missions. 3Dfx was great but they screwed up big time :(

nVidia infact SUED and WON a patent infringment suit against 3DFX. Thus basically taking over 3DFX. . . . Upon doing so nVidia ceased to continue support for ANY 3DFX product. Immediately making your BRAND new 3DFX card with no new driver support. So guess what. . . you either bought nVidia to replace your 3DFX that is now unsupported or you bite the bullet at the time and buy from someone else. As you see most ppl went out and bought nVidia stuff and they are still happily screwing. . errr . . making cards for us today....

Z

Wow that is interresting. I didn't know nVidia took care of the competition the dirty way. Are they going to start pressing charges against ATi now since they are continuously kicking their arses? If I recall right... didn't 3Dfx outperform nVidia at the time?

yeah 3dfx was laying the smackdown in the voodoo2 (tag team, w00t) and 3 years

also wasn't it Quantum that bought 3DFX then nVidia.

i wouldn't expect to see ati go under because of a law suit

Back