• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm having a problem with my cd-rw drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble2501

My drive is a open just link 24x10x40 cd-rw. The problem is that when I try to write an cd-rw with nero burning rom the burn is always interrupted by an error before it has gone along for more than an minute.
I can't remember the exact error message and I can't get it right now because I don't have an empty cd-rw. Also when I try to erase and cd-rw I get an power calibration error or the erasing dialog just keeps erasing the last part of the record for as long until I end it from task manager.
The drive and nero however work just fine with normal cd-r's, so what could be behind all this is this a software failure or is my drive busted? :(

I've had that problem to with CD-RW's. My dad's CD drive could erase them for a while then eventually his stopped to. I never found a solution to this problem and its bugged me for over a year. Eventually my drive died and got a DVD-/+ drive and I once again can do it.

I hope someone has a solution to this though its a real nucence.

deathman20 said:
I've had that problem to with CD-RW's. My dad's CD drive could erase them for a while then eventually his stopped to. I never found a solution to this problem and its bugged me for over a year. Eventually my drive died and got a DVD-/+ drive and I once again can do it.

I hope someone has a solution to this though its a real nucence.

So what happened eventually, can you still burn cd-r's or even read cd's? Is my drive dying? :cry:

Have you tried updating the firmware of the burner? Maybe it doesn't like the media you're using and a fw update will solve this problem.

Also, I'd see if the CD-RW will actually erase in anybody elses CD-RW drive. If so, try using different media than you are using currently. If not, then the CD-RW disc is probably going bad.

Same problem happened with my CD-RW's. But even the drive that made them wouldn't erase them. Now with my new drive it actually erases them and writes to them again finally.

bowzer said:
Also, I'd see if the CD-RW will actually erase in anybody elses CD-RW drive. If so, try using different media than you are using currently. If not, then the CD-RW disc is probably going bad.

I would try this fix, it's always the cheapest if it works. I had some problems with my burner about a month ago or so and it was with CD-R's. But for now it seams to be working fine, all i did since then was do a HDD format and a fresh windows install.

I don't think it would help if I tried my rw on a different system, because my drive has done this to every RW disc I've tried to use after I started to notice this problem.

Sniper_83 said:
Well if I were you I'd be :temper:!

I am.. I think I'm going to buy an DVD / CD-RW combo next.. just as soon as I can save up some money, this isn't the first part of my computer that has broken down and I'm starting to be a bit low on cash. :bang head

Yeah I know, I just can't afford one right now. Still studying.. but once I get a job after school's over I'll propaebly just build a whole new rig!! :)

Back