• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DURON 750 MHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mike14

Registered
hi i have a duron 750mhz and i want to overclock it if i can.but in the bios it gives me these options

cpu brand - amd k7
cpu type - duron
cpu speed - 750mhz it will let me change it to 1ghz
cpu core voltage 1.600v
cpu ratio 7.5x
cpu frequency 100mhz
dram frequency 133mhz it will let me change this to 100mhz

i have joined all the L1s but it wont let me change any of the settings except the ones i have mentioned above does anyone know how to change them so i can overclock my processor

my system info
motherboard m810lmr made by pcchips
graphics card - tnt2 m64 32 meg
128 sdram 133

hope this helps thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums! You seem to be doing everything right. If you can change those settings then you are overclocking! Personally I would change the cpu frequency from 100 to 133 and that will give you 1ghz right off the bat! You will have to change your voltage up to abotu 1.85 to do so I would imagine. Search for a program called Sisoft Sandra and download that. It will give you lots of information regarding your computer and is a nice benchmarking application as well.

ok thanks for your reply .so if i join the L7s on my processor which will give me 1.85v and put the cpu frequency to 133 and then put the mhz to 1ghz will that be ok ?or will it affect my graphics card or anything else . my tempertures are 46C at the moment so i know i will need to get a good fan to bring the temperature down before i overclock ok thanks in advance

Joining the L7 bridges will give the CPU a default voltage of 1.85 if you need to go this high. The Durons run quite happily on a 133 mhz FSB and when used with a 7.5 multiplier you will obtain 1 ghz ( 7.5 x 133 ) which would be good for your CPU as the 750 mhz Duron uses a 7.5 multiplier as standard.
The tempratures you quote are they at idle or on load ??

yes the temperature is at full load but sometimes it goes to 50C. does 7.5 multiplier mean cpu ratio 7.5x? the reason why i have to set it to 8.5v is because i cant changs the settings in my bios and my motherboard does not have any settings on it to let me chage it so i have to join all of the L7S or i could break some of them but i dont really want to do that. have you got any ideas how i can get my bios to let me change it in there because i can see the option but it is blanked out so i cant go on it

thanks in advance

Your tempratures although not really terrible would be a area of concern for me as when you increase the voltage and system speed you will also probably increase the tempratures and I consider anything above 50 c to be an area of concern for my Duron. The system bus is multiplied by the CPU ratio to obtain the system speed which in the case of a standard 750 mhz Duron is 7.5 x 100.
If you can not change the voltage of the CPU in your bios or on your motherboard you can change them on the CPU a full explanation can be found Here

Remember to keep an eye on your tempratures

thanks so much for your help so it looks like i will have to break 1 of my L7s do you know a good way to do this because i have tryed to cut 1 before and it messed up my processor and i could not use it again and do i still have to join the l1s? and will my grapgics card be ok when i put the speed up to 1ghz thanks in advance

The bridges only need a small cut so a sharp craft knife or razor blade will do it along with a magnifying glass ( take care though, and count your fingers afterwards ). The L1 bridges dont need to be done if you are going to run at the default 7.5 multiplier however should you decide to try for higher you will need the bridges unlocked, so I would personally do this all at the same time. The graphic card should be ok as it should run on a 133 mhz FSB as standard.

there is a CPU database on the front of this site which will let you know what speeds you can expect from your CPU

ok thanks again if i ever wanted to push it more how can i up the multiplier i have tryed to join the L1s before but it would still not let me change the multiplier in the bios and i can not change it on the motherboard because i dont have any jumpers on it sorry for being such a pain

To be honest I don't know to much about your mobo, so cant answer that in any other way apart from suggesting a detail reading of the manual.. you could also post a how do I change the multiplier on this mobo type question in AMD motherboards section and see if anyone can help there

hi i tryed to put the cpu core voltage up to 8.v and the cpu frequency to 133 and set my cpu speed to 1ghz and it turned on and said 1ghz and then it crashed and i tryed to turn it off and on about 10 times and it just goes back to 750 mhz so i tryed to up the cpu core voltage to 1.85 and it would still not boot at that . does anyone know what i am doind rong

thanks in advance

Your not doing anything wrong. Just try to increase the voltage some more if you can. Your processor just isn't stable. Also, try setting your RAM at 3-3-3 if you already haven't. That may help a bit. And with such a high core voltage, watch your temps very, very carefully

thanks for your reply i am not sure how to set my ram to 3-3-3 .it is set in the bois to 133. i am not sure how to put the voltage up any more because it wont let me set it in the bois so i have to do it on the chip witch i joined all of the L7s and that gave me 1.85v have you got any ideas what i can do

thanks in advance

I meant try to reduce your RAM latencies. Should have been more specific. Look around your BIOS for memory options. There should be a few things about SDRAM to CAS, RAS to CAS, CAS to RAS... (something along those lines) Set each one to three and see if that helps any (hence 3-3-3)

no the only options i have in my bois is dram frequency and it will let me set it to 100mhz or 133mhz

try setting the dram freq to 100mhz

then set your fsb to something like 132mhz

my old duron 750 cant do 133 fsb so i had no choice but to lower it.....the highest stable i found was 132

i cant set it manually because when i choose to put it upto 1 ghz in the bois it blanks out dram frequency and it auto selects 133 my bios is useless it dont let me do antthing except from changing the mhz and that only gives me 2 options 750 mhz or 1 ghz. i had to set the voltage on the processor

I overclocked my D750 to 940..980 MHz stable (now 945, it is extremely hot weather now.)
Penciled L1, but it was not necesary, because my multiplier now is 7.5. Also, penciled L7 to get std voltage 1.8V. Before penciling L7 system didn't boot at 930 or higher. All overclocking was made with fsb (124..133 MHz FSB -> 930..1000 MHz cpu). Can't go much higher than 133 because of PC100 RAM, it can't run over 136..137 MHz (I think it is good for PC100).
MB is Soltek SL75KAV with VIA KT133A chipset.
Used Colorful 2 fan cooler, lapped it (10C down) and smeared with AS I I (another 4C down) Fans are tooo weak now and this stops me to overclock more.
When voltage set at 1.85, I can go to Win98 at 1 GHz, but prime95 fails when temperature go over 60C
My upper temperature limit is now 65C. When it rises over this, I set my clock lower (980->945 because of hot summer). Pretty high, but still stable. Max load temp when I experimented with coolers and freqs was 73C. CPU is still living, but I don't recommend such high temperatures.
All this stuff works stable over 3 months.
Good luck with overclocking :)

Hi Mike,
There is a BIOS upgrade for your board which will give you access to all the settings you require for overclocking. You can change the Ras to Cas settings and many more things with this BIOS. I have the same board as you and flashed my BIOS yesterday.
Give it a try Mike....you won't be disappointed!

thanks for that i have had alook at pchips and downloaded the rom upgrade but it just looks the same with the same settings could you tell me where you got your upgrade from please thanks in advance

Back