• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Differance between Norton Anti-Viruses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Is there any real differance between say Norton 2002 anti-virus, Norton-2003 or 2004 Anti-virus, and Corporate Anti-Virus? I mean don't they all update with the same on-line lists? Is there any advantage to any of them?
Duck

I believe that 2004 has the ability to scan for spyware. I use the corporate version that I got from school, so I can't comment on how well this works.

2004 has the new activation feature, which sucks. So needless to say I will not purchase it. But over all there are no MAJOR differences between them all. My father has 2001 on his computer and it works flawlessly. I have 2003, but do not plan on buying the next version.

even if you have an old old version, as long as it is updating weekly it should still work right?

ToiletDuck said:
even if you have an old old version, as long as it is updating weekly it should still work right?

Yes and when the subscription for updates run out all you need to do is uninstall and reinstall and you get another year.

I have norton 2004 on my computer, but I'm seriously thinking about going back to 2003. I really think the new one sucks, it's slowing my system down and is interrupting everything I do with a notice about scanning some useless file that couldn't possibly contain any virus'

:(

noble2501 said:
I have norton 2004 on my computer, but I'm seriously thinking about going back to 2003. I really think the new one sucks, it's slowing my system down

Yep, norton is known for slowing down a system. I think I may give these guys a try HERE , I heard a lot of good things about them.

cornbread said:

Yep, norton is known for slowing down a system. I think I may give these guys a try HERE , I heard a lot of good things about them.

If you do, mind giving me a head's up if it's any good. I just might give it a try myself too.. if it's good/better than norton. ;)

Does norton systemworks scan the registry for files that don't need to be there anymore?
Duck

I use Norton AV 03 Pro, it works great..I have it turned off when I do'nt need it using up 78% of my resources.

I scan an ocasional program here and there..and sometimes when I go to bed scan everything.

I tried 04, but the activation, and all of the security features were a pain (hate to be anyone who tried stealing it..).

So I just use 03 pro instead.

They all use the same definitions, so it doesn't matter..

As for registry and spyware..I use Adaware 6 I think..works great..

and for temp files and registry I use System Mechanic..a wonderful program.

I just put the free version of AVG on my computer and seems to be working fine. I havnt noticed any slowdowns. I had a friend install it jsut today and it found and got rid of a virus so it does work.......

Norton is well known as stupid. The 1 year update limit is counted from the installation date. Every time you reinstall, it will give you another year. Their products don't have any CD key. They have no idea who is using the legal copy, who is being cheap.

As for system resource, it takes none CPU usage on my computers. It may take a little tiny bit RAM. I am running Norton System Works 2003. Not sure how horrible 2004 is. :)

I run NSW 2003 and it uses 1-4MB of my 1GB of Corsair 3200 memory, shows it as having 00 CPU time every time I checked. The only thing I dislike about it is my auto update works when it wants to not when it should :( Other than that I just reinstalled it again *since I paid the first time around umm 50 bucks or so* and it gave me another year to use it, now whether or not Norton will still support its Live Updates or let you download the files needed is still of an unknown time length but they have been good about it so far.
Knowles Tech

I didnt like that feature in NAV 04 that scanned files, it was especially annoying during installations, and i did notice my system slowed somewhat. so i think ill go back to 03 or look for another client.

Back