• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

moving swap file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JOptionPane

Registered
I read some where if you have a 2nd hard drive you can get better performance by moving your swap file to the 2nd hard drive dose anyone know how to do that in windows XP?

Thanks
JOptionPane

its even better to put half in one HD and half in the other ... when one is too busy windows will write it to the second

kinda like raid but not exactly

also its better if they are in diffrent IDE channels

*Edit:

Is also a good idea to remove the swap alltogether, then defargment and then set the swap again. This will put all your swap together rather than being scattered. You can tell if its scattered by analyzing your disk with windows defrag, if the green spots are allover the place then your swap is all fragmented.

Last edited:
well the only reason i am worried about it is. that i ran this program call passmark and my computer did fine all but the hard drive and this is what i got
Disk - Sequential Read 12.84
Disk - Sequential Write 12.36
Disk - Random Seek + RW 1.69
Disk Mark 70.97

and this stinks:mad: other scores look like this on Avg.

Disk - Sequential Read 50
Disk - Sequential Write 45
Disk - Random Seek + RW 3.9
Disk Mark 245

wonder what is wrong?

Thanks
JOptionPane

umm... dont put it on mutliple disks, if you have one dedicated to swap it wont matter where it is.. but the best is. get a small hdd like 1-2 gigs.
format it FAT16 and move your swap to that. done. if possible try seperate it from the same channel as your main disk drive.

Like put your OS drive and cd on one channel and the swap drive on another. THis will help

*edit* I ve never seen passmark, but I would recommend ATTO for disk speed benchmarking, its the best for that and gives lots of details etc.

Back