• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting Plastic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZachM

I am currently in the process of modding a full tower. I want to cut out areas of the front (plastic) bezel so I can replace it with modders mesh so the front fans can get airflow. Now I'm wondering what you guys use to cut plastic. I was thinking about buying a mini hacksaw from the hardware store. Instead of having the band around the top, the blade just sticks out the front. That way I could grind down the tip of the blade a bit so I could get it in a hole to start my cut. I was wondering if you guys have any better ideas. I could chain drill it, but that sucks to get smooth afterwards. Anyways give me some ideas if you have any.:)

A Dremel dose a good job also a soldering iron with selectable temp 300-350F and it melts the plastic and works like a hot knife in butter ;)

Don't want to use the Dremal because it is near impossible to get decently straight lines. It always melts the plastic, and then you have wavy cuts. I don't like the idea of melting it out either. Too risky to the surrounding areas.

Only other thing is a small saw like a key hole saw (hack saw blades are for cutting metal and will clog up real fast)

you can use a small hacksaw blade or a keyhole saw like stedeman mentioned just dont saw like you would cut wood or metal make slow strokes then bull saw up out and repeat and you shouldnt have to much trouble with it melting on you as you cut

Keyhole saws are a little too rough i think , and if your careful with a dremel you can get straight lines without melting the plastic, you can get a Cutting bit for your dremel instead of using a cutoff disc.. cutoff disks arnt really made for what your implying, you can get a hacksaw with a slightly rough blade and use that, it should work fine.. personally if i could i would use a jigsaw with a plastics cutting blade and dont run it too fast.

jigsaw.

sounds like a jigsaw, is what your looking for, but make sure you drill a pilot hole first or it might walk off into some where that shouldnt be cut or wors, your fingers.

Robrules18 said:
jigsaw.

sounds like a jigsaw, is what your looking for, but make sure you drill a pilot hole first or it might walk off into some where that shouldnt be cut or wors, your fingers.
Also, use a jigsaw blade meant for plastics. It will help get you a much smoother cut edge.

there is a carbide cutting wheel that u can use in a dremel. works a whole lot better than cut-off discs for plastics.

J.

Hmm, jigsaw. I have one, but it is old and crappy. juliendogg, are you talking about those little metal "saw" looking discs that mount in a Dremal? Like the ones that have teeth. Post a pic if it is something different.

KfistoRok said:
Dremel at low rpms shouldn't really burn the plastic.

If you turn your dremel up enough it will kick the old (melted) plastic out before it melts together. This'll make your cutting disc kinda gross after a while though.

I have access to a friend's table saw, but my design involves curves.

Back