• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/Cooling Buy List: Please Look

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cubed

Hey Guys, I'm going to buy these items, basically my CPU, and my HSF.

My CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL

My HSF: Thermaltake SILENT BOOST Highest Performance Cooler. Application for AMD Athlon XP up to 3400+.

This is what I'm going to buy through newegg.com, does this seem good, because it does to me. I just want to make sure with you guys because you make your pc's and are more experience then myself.

I also bought Arctic Silver 5.

Question; The retail HSFs, that you buy seperattly, like the thermaltake I'm going to buy, Is it going to have TIM on it? I think someone said no, so if this is true, I'm only going to have to clean the CPU die and the HS from the Thermaltake with Isoprypol Alchohol with a Lint Free cloth, am I right or wrong?

You could get an slk-900a for about the same price with a fan. Or you could get a 947u for a bit more. Both heatsinks blow away the silent boost.

baltoos said:
netboss,
IMHO You would probably get MUCH better cooling with a Thermalright SLK-947U Heatsink and a YS-Tech 92x25mm Fan Both are available from SVC, which is a very nice on-line seller(I've dealt with them before & never had a prob). As for applying the Arctic Silver 5:
IF ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE DANG INSTRUCTIONS!!!
Good Luck!
-Dave

If your motherboard have mounting holes around your socket (where you screw in your heatsink), then this is the perfect one. If your motherboard has a "clip-on" socket for a heatsink, go for the SLK-900A.

ThermalTAKE is no good, ThermalRIGHT is awesome...make sure you see that difference. :)

I do have a Thermaltake Volcano Xaser 11+. At 4800 RPM, the CPU is at 44C and Case is at 39. I might get the SLK-900A with a good quite fan. The fan on my heatsink is loud because I have many small holes on my side panel that is over my CPU. :D

EDIT
Problem solved!!!

I took a piece of paper, taped it over the holes, and no more buzzing noise :D

Back