• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a damaged duron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

instanoodles

Registered
I have a duron which the core got chipped by a super orb. I am getting a FOP 38 and I am cutting Super orb off with my dremal. Not much of the core was damaged just a very little off the corner. I was wondering if overclocking could damage it more or shorten the life of th procrssor ever more than overclocking does. Its a duron 800 and I am planning to get it 2 900 or 1GHz if possible.

i wouldnt ppush it too much since its damaged..... unless u wana buy a new cpu soon then do waht u want but i wouldnt recomend it just becuase its damaged.. i think o/c something thats not 100% good ...is a death trap. maby to 900 at the most anymore requires more voltage and thats when damage is liktlyu to happen.....first u should use prime95 for hours and hours to make sure its still rock stable at defualt voltage befour attempting anythign.

If it boots at default, overclocking it isnt' going to hurt. You should have seen the first chip I had. No corners or anything...ran quite strong till I killed it (by lapping it too much...just didnt' know when to stop)

When I used this program to test the CPU the program saw it as an 807MHz Duron and I compaired it to a duron 800 that it had listed there and it was faster than the one I compaired it too, not much thou.

chipping the core doent always ruin it, a duron is cheap anyhow just go for it if it fries, what the heck its a 50 dollar chip

Back