• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Abit fix the "idle" bug in the KT7 series boards anytime soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

4900.12 is By far the best BIOS ever to be released for the KT7 line of boards. http://www.biosmods.com/bios/abitkt7_beta/modified/4900_12/athlon.zip

But this bios still is missing the IDLE bug fix which was started with the release of 3R I believe. Not that its bad for me, since I dont really care to much, ""I got blown away with the stability of this bios I guess you could say!""

But my idle is now 48c where as before, it used to be 28c.

They simply disabled it or something.

I'm runing 1430MHz with 1.85V.

Hmm, has anybody hacked this bios to get IDLing turned back on. I believe its called ACPI somtin maybe?

The "idle" you are talking about has been disabled in the BIOS, and will be disabled in ALL future Abit BIOS releases due to the fact that it is not stable on all CPUs. But, there is a way to enable it. Download the program called VCool from www.biosmods.com , it's pretty straight forward and I'm sure you can figure it out.

I think a .BIN file that a BIOS update comes in could be put in a hex editor and modified, but I wouldn't know the first thing about doing such a thing.... Until then there's always WPCRSET, but unfortunately that has to be re-loaded every time we reinstall windows.... :(

SickBoy

[oc]SickBoy (Aug 01, 2001 12:27 p.m.):
I think a .BIN file that a BIOS update comes in could be put in a hex editor and modified, but I wouldn't know the first thing about doing such a thing.... Until then there's always WPCRSET, but unfortunately that has to be re-loaded every time we reinstall windows.... :(

SickBoy

It's apparently a little harder than that. I e-mailed the guy who creates all the KT7A modded bios's about adding the idle back in. He said it's more difficult than just changing settings and that the tools he uses did not allow him to do so.

AXIA (Aug 01, 2001 11:53 a.m.):
4900.12 is By far the best BIOS ever to be released for the KT7 line of boards. http://www.biosmods.com/bios/abitkt7_beta/modified/4900_12/athlon.zip

But this bios still is missing the IDLE bug fix which was started with the release of 3R I believe. Not that its bad for me, since I dont really care to much, ""I got blown away with the stability of this bios I guess you could say!""

But my idle is now 48c where as before, it used to be 28c.

They simply disabled it or something.

Hmm, has anybody hacked this bios to get IDLing turned back on. I believe its called ACPI somtin maybe?

Basically they cleared the Northbridges "bus disconnect on stpgnt" bit. If this bit is set the Northbridge disconnects the system bus when the CPU is idle (ACPI) and forces it into low power state. However there's a bug in AMDs chip design that can lead to lockups on wakeup if you're running at "half-frequencies" (7.5x, 8.5x,..) or if the CLK_CTRL MSR is not set correctly.
To avoid this problem Abit disabled the bit like most (all?) other manufacturers.
If you want to re-enable cooling you can either use WPCREDIT to set that bit manually or use a tool like VCool. If you follow the freezes link on this page you can read more about the AMD bug too.

Martin

VCool didnt give my KT7A board idle-halt state, it gave me a alltime-halt state. Basically it freezes my comp. Why is this?

Pitspawn (Aug 02, 2001 03:19 p.m.):
VCool didnt give my KT7A board idle-halt state, it gave me a alltime-halt state. Basically it freezes my comp. Why is this?

Well I know of three reasons (all listed on the hp, btw)

1) you're running a half-frequency multiplier
2) Your bios doesn't set the correct reconnect timings (CLK_CTLR MSR)
3) weak PSU

..ah and heavy overclocking of course - reconnecting the bus seems to be sensitive to that.

In any case it's very likely that you will get these lockups with any software cooler or the hacked/old BIOS.

regards
Martin

ap0calyps (Aug 01, 2001 11:59 a.m.):
The "idle" you are talking about has been disabled in the BIOS, and will be disabled in ALL future Abit BIOS releases due to the fact that it is not stable on all CPUs. But, there is a way to enable it. Download the program called VCool from www.biosmods.com , it's pretty straight forward and I'm sure you can figure it out.

At last they did disable it:)) i had so much trouble with it on my 1.1ghz avha chip.

Back