• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

great resource for RH9/Fedora users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

For a while when using Redhat based Linux distros I have used a site called freshrpms.net

Basically what it does is include binaries (rpms) for pretty much any application/package you could want on redhat linux.

For example I wanted to install xine on fedora. When I tried it said that there were like 6 dependencies missing. I spent like 10 minutes on freshrpms downloading rpm files for the dependencies and another couple minutes installing them. Then I simply double clicked the xine rpm and everything installed like butter.

They also had the xmms mp3 plugin, and many other packages which I didnt even know what they were.

rpmfind.net is also a good resource. You can search by package name or library name and it will return a bunch of packages and you pick the correct ones for your distro.

The RPM dependency dance is why I switched to Gentoo, though. I was sick of it.

I personally find that the RPM dance is not relevant anymore as most reasonable distros support a Apt-Get port

Back