• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor pins touching?????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buk

Registered
I recently received a (used) P4-2.4B 533 processor and while cleaning it of a little bit of excess thermal compound, I noticed that one of the pins is bent in an unusual manner. It is not a 'handling' bend as the surrounding pins are straight but rather one pin is bent down flat against the substrate and the tip is bent up again so it enters the same hole in the socket that an adjacent pin does.

From the diagrams in the P4 spec sheet from Intel’s site (29864311.pdf) this pin would be pin ‘AF1’. Looking from the bottom of the chip at the pins (with the notched corner at the bottom right), pins ‘A1’ and ‘B1’ are absent as they should be and correspond to the notched corner so the processor can be oriented in the socket properly. The bent pin is at the bottom left corner and is bent to to enter the same hole in the socket as the pin to its right, pin ‘AE1’. From the way that this pin is bent and is pressed flat against the substrate (before the bend up against the adjacent pin) I believe the processor has been installed with this bent pin like it is. The previous owner operated the processor without being aware of this so maybe it is of no consequence.

Is it supposed to be like this? Could this have been done deliberately? Is this some sort of performance modification? Should I try to straighten it?

Your information,help, and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Duncan

The only pins we modify are the VID pins for voltage and the maybe the BSEL pins, but with a 533 bus CPU, that won't apply. The bent pin sounds like it's in the wrong location for either of those anyway, even taken into consideration you have the pin locations backwards (that Intel chart shows the pins as looking down from the top, not as if you're looking at the pins pointing up).

Back