• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How in gods name do i set up a SQL server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluestreakLB

Disabled
I've looked at manuals, i cant figure this out at all.

Please please help.

It's on winXP pro for an IIS system

I was trying to set up mysql on my winxp machine with apache. It took me days to get it to work and it only kind of works now. Argh...its a tough thing to do. Good luck!

Matt

i've decided based on how often i've seen it come up that mysql is best.

I'm doing it for a PHPbb forum i want to put up on my site.

bluestreakLB said:
i've decided based on how often i've seen it come up that mysql is best.

I'm doing it for a PHPbb forum i want to put up on my site.

If you need help with the phpBB end of this installation let me know. I can definetly help with that. My forums are phpBB and have some pretty cool mods on them. I would be glad to help. Good luck!

Matt

is used something that had everything in it "easyserve" it had apache php, and mysql everything was configured for me so ill had to do was start them up and it worked that easy. i havent set them up from scratch so icant help.

I've set up mySQL a bunch of times.

Basically:
1. Goto www.mysql.org, download, install mySQL.
2. Goto www.php.net, download, install PHP
3. Goto www.phpbb.org, download, install PHPbb
4. Go into mySQL, and create a database for the forum
5. Go into the forum install /phpbb/install/install.php.. i think
6. Configure / install it.
7. Delete the /Install and /Contrib dirs

I usually run mine on a linux box, but it's very similar. If you have more specific questions, we can help you further. I think the hardest part is remembering to create the database for the forums.. it doesn't do that automatically, and gives you cryptic errors about it.

i created a database but phpbb cant connect to it, the sql server doesnt run.

i'm getting very agitated...

In the mysql folder there is a sub folder called bin. In there is a program call winmysqladmin (or simalar i'm not at a machine with it on).

Run that, you should now either have an icon in the system tray or a dialog box asking you too login.

If you right click on the icon in the system tray or the title of the admin box you will have the option to stop and start the sql service.

Have you setup the config file correctly to point to your mysql server?

Let us know how you get on.

If i remeber right, phpbb creates its own tables, but you have to create the database (Make a folder under data).

Leme get back to you tonight guys...i gotta run to work, if you can think of anything else int he meantime leme know

What's the error? Did it leave a log file, or anything in the event log?

Try reinstalling it?

Ok, i finally got the server running, now how to i actually go about setting up a database that the PHPBB can connect to???

One problem i'm having though is that when i try and change my admin pw for example it says it cant connect to server on localhost.

It then tells me to telnet to it through port 3306, it wont connect...this is not good :(

start/run/ type cmd
then change to the mysql/bin directory.
Then run:
> mysqladmin -u=admin -p=password create phpbb
(where 'phpbb' is the name of the database you want to create).

*edited*

Back